heater for lubrisizer

mtngun
Site Admin

heater for lubrisizer

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:26 pm

I finally got around to making a heater for my lubrisizer.

It's just an aluminum plate that the lubrisizer bolts to. Actually, it's two pieces of plate, just because I didn't have a single piece wide enough. The plate is drilled & countersunk for drywall screws to attach to the reloading bench, plus is is drilled & tapped for bolts to attach the lubrisizer.

An iron is placed on the plate and set on low heat for about 30 minutes before the lubrisizer is used. It takes that long for everything to get warm, but once it does, the iron can be turned to the lowest setting.

If you leave it unattended for an hour, you may return to find liquified lube dripping out. Don't ask me how I know that. :roll:

Total cash required = $0.00. The aluminum works nicely but you could use steel, too.

Elkins45

Re: heater for lubrisizer

Postby Elkins45 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:43 am

I bought a cartridge heater off of eBay and carved a hole for it under my Lyman 45. It's mounted on a Lee bench plate so I didn't actually carve a hole in my bench. I control the temp by plugging it into an outlet box controlled by a dimmer switch. I already had the dimmer setup for a different project and the cartridge heater was less than $10.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: heater for lubrisizer

Postby mtngun » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:12 pm

My lubrisizer has joined the digital age. Cheap PID controller mounted in an old PC power supply box. Works a treat, other than the PID seems to be Celsius-only. By trial and error I settled on 45C (113F) for Rooster HVR lube.

FYI the iron puts out waaaaay more heat than is needed, even on its lowest setting. A small travel iron would be more suitable. In any event, the PID keeps the heat under control now.

Return to “equipment”