Fuller Index .44 Special Bullet

Bukshot

Fuller Index .44 Special Bullet

Postby Bukshot » Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Have been studying the most recent book by Marshall and Sanow regarding stopping power of pistol bullets for self-defense. :ugeek:

.44 Special does not fare too well in comparison to others. :o

The problem seems to be too much weight, not enough velocity, and not enough bullet expansion. Meplat size does not seem to be a factor- maybe even a negative if it reduces tumbling on impact. It seems the closer one gets to around 155 grains bullet weight and 1000+ FPS the better one is with regards to the correct amount of penetration, etc.

From what I'm seeing on these forums is that there is a problem with getting accurate .44 Special bullets below say 180 or 200 grains? So, can a cast bullet of say 165 grains be made that is accurate, is a hollowpoint for good expansion as low as 800 FPS up to say 1000 FPS at normal pressure, and made of as close to pure lead for the same reason-expansion?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Fuller Index .44 Special Bullet

Postby mtngun » Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 am

Bukshot wrote:From what I'm seeing on these forums is that there is a problem with getting accurate .44 Special bullets below say 180 or 200 grains?
I don't think anyone has pursued that. The 44 Special is not wildly popular.

So, can a cast bullet of say 165 grains be made that is accurate, is a hollowpoint for good expansion as low as 800 FPS up to say 1000 FPS at normal pressure, and made of as close to pure lead for the same reason-expansion?

A pure lead 165 gr. 44 is only going to be about 0.42" long. If you use a gas check design, the only lube will be on the check shank, but that's OK.

As for accurate, I don't think it would win any contests, but might have useful accuracy out to say 50 feet.

You are on your own with the hollowpoint.

Return to “design & sizing”