Why is NRA lube slower ?

mtngun
Site Admin

Why is NRA lube slower ?

Postby mtngun » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:58 am

from the old forum:

I have started shooting the mold I got from you --and about 22 yards .5 over and over -- why 22? to stay out of the sun to shoot :D --anyway I have tried three different lubes so far and only a little of each --my home made- some white label red - and some NRA formula -- the first ones group fine so far - I will have to get out of the shade to really test it---ES are pretty good too 30 -40 fps or so but the NRA formula gave 2-3 fps second - I have not grouped it yet - and it was slower --instead of 1380's it was 1311-1313 --so what do you think is happening --why slower-- does this mean the lube is sealing well or ? anyway it is fun My son has a TC in the 41GNR#2 and we will start trying this bullet in in it at up to 2000+ thanks for the good mold and just curious but having fun.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Why is NRA lube slower ?

Postby mtngun » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 am

I commend you for paying attention to your chronograph numbers. The chrono is the handloader's best friend. How did we ever get along without them?

I am a little confused about your data, but anyway ...... I generally see higher velocities with tough, tacky lubes and lower velocities with soft, slippery lubes.

The only exception to date has been the report on Lyman Super Moly posted by one of our forum members. He got essentially the same velocity data with Super Moly and with HVR, which surprised me. He was shooting a mid range load, not full throttle. I haven't had a chance to test Super Moly yet.

My best guess to date is that the tough, tacky lubes act as a bandaid to seal gas leaks.

If you really want to get serious -- and where is it written that we have to be serious all the time ??? After all, we do this for fun !!! -- then calculate the standard deviation for 10 shots, instead of an ES. A 10 shot SD will be a more reliable yardstick than the ES.

Thank you very much for the report.

Return to “lubes”