Changing Lubes

45idaho

Changing Lubes

Post by 45idaho » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I have a Lyman 450 and a Lyman 4500 Luber/ Sizer that I use to lube my bullets. I am trying out different lubes and it is a real pain in the butt to change lubes. I know it would be easiest to have a dedicated luber/sizer for each lube and only have to clean out the die. The easiest method I have found is to take the die out, back the piston out, hang the luber upside down, heat it up with a heat gun and let the lube run out. I wipe the dies out and poke the lube out of the holes and clean them out as good as possible. Even then it takes quite a run of bullets to get the old lube to quit mixing with the new type. Do you have an easier method or a way to lube a few bullets by hand just to try out different lubes? I seem to be too clumsy and dumbto find a way to get the lube to stay in bullets when trying to do it by hand.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Changing Lubes

Post by mtngun » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Ya, I apply experimental lubes by hand and there is nothing easy or fast about it. Smear it into the grooves, run the bullet through the sizer, repeat to fill in spots that were missed the first time. I try to use an oversize die, especially with hard lubes, because otherwise hard lubes can squeeze the bullet in the die. For hard lubes, it is usually necessary to warm the lube, just warm enough so that you can smear the lube with your fingers.

If I am mainly interested in chrono numbers, then 10 shots is enough, so I only have to hand-lube 10 bullets. 10 shots over the chrono is enough to show a statistically significant difference, if there is one.

If I want to test accuracy, then I'll usually load enough for 3 groups plus maybe an extra round or three to condition the barrel (any time you switch lubes at the range, you need to either clean the barrel, or shoot a few foulers, or both).

Three groups is rarely enough to prove a statistically significant difference in accuracy, but it's a start. If the results are interesting, I'll load enough for 3 more groups and repeat the test another day. Then I take the results from all 6 groups and compare it to 6 groups from the control load, preferably tested on the same day, and check for statistical significance. And even then I'm not sure, The standard deviation of group size is typically 30%, making it tough to prove that a small change in accuracy is statistically significant.

Your question about lubes made me wish that my reloading operation and shooting range were set up. There are so many shooting experiments that I want to do.......

lar45

Post by lar45 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:46 pm

When I change lubes I take all the hardware, handle, linkage... off, then put the luber body on an old cookie sheet in the oven. I prop it up so all the lube will run out, turn the oven to 200 and leave for 20 min-ish. Everything is melted out and ready for a new lube.
When I'm testing variations of lubes, I get a small piece warm in my hand and smear the grooves full with a finger then run them through the lube-size die to clean things up.
I picked up an extra (used) luber for $40ish so I can keep hard and soft lubes ready to use.

500hubcap

Post by 500hubcap » Mon May 30, 2016 11:52 am

Boiling the equipment in water will remove all the lube. Be sure to dry quickly and completely.