Some thoughts on lube

Raptor

Some thoughts on lube

Postby Raptor » Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 pm

You would think that after all the decades of cast bullet shooting that everything about lubing cast bullets would be known. I have been reading this forum, the CBA forum, and the Beartooth forum. All I can say is nothing seems very straight forward as to what works best. It would seem that after reading as much as I have that no two guns treat cast bullets the same. Throat, forcing cone, barrel diameter and smoothness, constrictions, bullet hardness, bullet size in relation to gun dimensions, type of lube, number of shots down the barrel, cold or really cold barrel, warm or hot barrel, velocity, etc., all seem to come together in some strange alchemists brew to work or not work to the shooter's expectations. It's almost enough to get a guy shooting jacketed stuff again.
I see a lot of range time in my future as I try to get my guns (and those of a friend) working optimally. I am glad I have two lubers, I may just borrow a third if I get to trying all the stuff out there. So Dan, is Red Rooster your pick for best you found so far, or are you still searching? The reason I ask is most of the info on this forum is rather dated.

Anyway, the 10mm/200gr and .41/265gr molds arrived today, thanks, the look great. Now I have 5 new molds to play with, I'll keep you posted on my research.
Cheers, Raptor

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Some thoughts on lube

Postby mtngun » Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Yes, Rooster HVR is the best I have found for high velocity/high pressure loads. Perhaps someday a better lube will come along, but I suspect it will be an awful lot like HVR -- tough and sticky.

Low pressure/low velocity loads play by different rules and may be more accurate with a particular lube for no obvious reason.

Raptor

Postby Raptor » Tue May 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks Dan, and by that you mean magnums, 1200 fps and up in all the popular stuff. Are you still experimenting with mica and that other stuff just for fun?

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am

I mean full house loads more than velocity, though both are factors.

I haven't been able to do any shooting recently, so no experiments.

Raptor

Postby Raptor » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 am

Gothcha, I should have included heavy bullets coupled with hi vel.

Return to “lubes”