Painted Bases

mtngun
Site Admin

Painted Bases

Postby mtngun » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Why paint only the base instead of the entire bullet? To isolate the problem.

A scrap piece of wood was drilled so that only the bases of the bullets protruded.

Result:

Lubed like a normal cast bullet.

Accuracy, while nothing to brag about, seemed to be an improvement compared to unpainted bases, or even compared to gas check bullets.

A painted-base bullet recovered from the water tank.

Compare to a similar PB bullet fired with a similar load.

Judging leading is always subjective, but to my eye the painted bases leaded less than unpainted bases. This was verified with a bore scope, and with a tight fitting patch. The painted bases did not completely eliminate leading, however.

The tight fitting patch test after shooting the painted bases. The shiny flakes are lead. However, this is less fouling than with the gas check bullets I shot yesterday.

I want to do more comparison tests before I jump to conclusions, but so far it looks like the painted bases made a difference.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Painted Bases

Postby mtngun » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:37 pm

I repeated the painted base experiment in the Contender 6x45, deets here.

The short version is that the painted bases shot OK with the same load that wouldn't even stay on the target with unpainted bases. 8-)

I will repeat the test when time allows, to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

So far it looks like painting the base makes a significant difference. Of course it would be easier to paint or coat the entire bullet and the painted bases were just an experiment to prove a point about what the coating does or does not do.

The next question is, which (affordable) coating is best? So I'll be trying different coatings to see which one works best for my style of shooting.

jbquack1

Postby jbquack1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:55 pm

interesting research your doing, have you tried this at handgun velocities? Say 12 to 1400 fps? My curiosity is vs. a gas check.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 am

I haven't tried it at handgun velocities yet but many other people are using coatings in handguns. I'm sure it would get the job done though there can be a learning curve for applying coatings.

jbquack1

Postby jbquack1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Thinking about it, it may work well with some 300 blackout loads, your getting some impressive speed out of your stuff, I wonder if you could start with say, a 30 caliber bullet and step size it down to 6 mm to try and squeeze concentricity into the bullet, so to speak, and if that would help obtain tighter groups?

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Someday I hope to find time to swage lubed cast bullets at a high enough pressure to iron out any internal voids. My guess is you'll have to have a sub-MOA load to see a difference with that sort of thing.

Return to “lubes”