Testing Hi-Tek Coating

mtngun
Site Admin

Testing Hi-Tek Coating

Postby mtngun » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:42 am

I ordered gold Hi-Tek powder but they sent me puke green instead. :x Oh well, I'm more interested in performance than in cosmetics.

You're supposed to mix the powder with acetone. Naturally I'm out of acetone, so I tried alcohol instead. I think the alcohol worked OK but nonetheless will pick up some acetone next time I go to town.

The first coat was baked at 385F. The second coat was also baked at 385F for 10 minutes as per the instructions, but then I raised the oven temperature to 470F for 30 minutes, and quenched the bullets in water, so now they're ~25 BHN. It remains to be seen if coated bullets benefit from hardening but I suspect they do.

The good news is that the puke green was actually more of an olive green after baking at 385F. Even better, the olive green turned to a bronze color after baking at 470F. I'm good with bronze. 8-)

These are some 35 caliber tumblelube bullets that I had left over from my tumblelube shootout.

The bullets started out as sized to 0.360". After the first coat, they averaged 0.3607". After the 2nd coat, they averaged 0.3613". So they gain about 0.00065" per thin coat.

Questions about Hi-Tek Coating:
-- can it survive being heat treated?
-- do coated bullets benefit from heat treatment?
-- how much does it increase diameter? 0.00065" per thin coat.
-- do coated bullets benefit from a traditional bullet lube?
-- does Hi-Tek coating eliminate the melting and gas cutting at the base of the bullet?
-- are Hi-Tek bullets as accurate as traditional lubed bullets?

Yes, I realize there is tons of info on coatings at the Cast Boolits site, but unfortunately most of that info is poor quality and buried deep in chit-chat. Very few shooters do controlled accuracy testing with enough data to actually prove anything. Very few shooters push their cast bullets to the limit. As someone asked, "if coated bullets are so great, why aren't they winning benchrest matches?" :?

As time allows I'll try to determine if Hi-Tek coating is worthwhile for my flavor of shooting.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Testing Hi-Tek Coating

Postby mtngun » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Well, at first it seemed that heat treating the Hi-Tek'd bullets at 470F was a success, but when I went to size & lube the bullets, the coating rubbed off in places, particularly at the base which is the last place you want it to rub off. :cry:

Quite a bit rubbed off the base.

So I had to admit defeat. :cry: I threw this batch back in the pot and started over.

Trying again -- I coated them as-cast, baked 385 F for 10 minutes, applied 2nd coat and baked 385 F for 25 minutes, then water quenched. I figured the 385 F quench would harden them at least a little bit, prolly high teens ?

You can see that the color comes out olive green when baked at 385 F as recommended. I can live with olive green. And this time they survived sizing without any damage to the coating. 8-)
[img] [http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/hitek1_nov4_15_zpsshai4alk.jpg/img]

Lubed and loaded for the Contender 357. At this point I don't know if the lube is helpful, that remains to be tested.

The good news is that these bullets did not foul the barrel at all at 1950 fps. Clean as a whistle. Accuracy was only so-so, though -- that may have something to do with the not-so-hard bullets?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Testing Hi-Tek Coating

Postby mtngun » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 am

Update: when quenched at 385 F, my nearly WW alloy -- it's mostly clip on WW but with a little bit of everything mixed in -- is 15 - 16 BHN after 24 hours.

Return to “lubes”