Slipform Stone Walls

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Slipform Stone Walls

Postby mtngun » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Highland Drifter wrote:Looks good Dan. How about posting some pictures showing the whole view of your new home/shop from the outside and some from around the shop? Kind of a photo tour.
Brian

Well, if I ever get it cleaned up.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lots of firewood, lumber, building materials, tools, barrels, trailer, stuff under tarps, etc., scattered around the homesite now. It's kind of an eyesore. If and when the barn/woodshed gets built -- hopefully this summer -- most of that junk will move into the barn, and the place should start looking organized.

There will be lots of pics when the barn project gets started. The ground is still soggy at the moment.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Finally back to working on the stone walls, this time the exterior.

The usual routine -- left side is rough slipform wall, right side has wet mortar packed into joints.

After the mortar is partially dry but still weak, a wire brush removes the excess mortar from the stones.

Left side is rough slipform, right side has finished joints.

Much more to do.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

I finally finished pointing the stone walls.   It only took me 6 years to complete that. :D

Another small project was to rehang the front door.  The 16" thick walls present some special challenges for doors.  I'd originally hung the door in the middle of the wall, for thermal reasons, but that created a pinch point for pets as the door closed, trapping them between the door and the doorframe.   It was pretty hard on pets. :(

So I re-hung the door flush with the interior wall, and re-trimmed it.

Next major project is thoroughly chinking the exterior of the cordwood walls. I'm still experimenting with different ways of doing it, but will post pictures after I settle on a preferred technique.

db71

Postby db71 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:56 am

I am on a very small budget but I have land with lots of rocks in se oklahoma. Due to our economy we are planning to build there and sell our current home in texas. Any info on this type of building design is greatly appreciated. What are the insulating material options? What is most cost effective?

db71

Postby db71 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 pm

[img][IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/ol_man_dave/20130823_174126_zps87b739ce.jpg[/img][/img]

That is my drive in to give an idea of the terrain.

db71

Postby db71 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 pm

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:53 pm

db71 wrote:I am on a very small budget but I have land with lots of rocks in se oklahoma. Due to our economy we are planning to build there and sell our current home in texas. Any info on this type of building design is greatly appreciated. What are the insulating material options? What is most cost effective?

Pictures tell the story, unfortunately I lost many of my slipform pictures in a lightning strike. ;)

For wall insulation, I used 2" white styrofoam sandwiched between the two layers of slipform rock. I'm extremely pleased with the final product, but have to say that the work was very slow and physically demanding at every step of the way. That's why I only went up 5 feet with rock. Construction got more difficult as the height increased and I had to carry rocks and buckets of concrete up a ladder. :cry:

But the rock portion of the wall will last forever, there are absolutely no air leaks, it looks great, and it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

My 16" thickness was only needed because it was supporting a 16" thick cordwood wall above. Otherwise 10" would prolly be plenty for a single story wall.

Budget wise, IMHO you don't save much with rock or cordwood or any other unconventional building materials. Even if the walls are free, most of the total cost of the house is in stuff other than the walls -- the foundation, windows, rafters, roof, ceiling insulation, electrical, interior, etc.. The foundation footings have to be more substantial to support a rock wall so that actually increases the cost. Framing the windows and doors requires quite a bit more lumber for this type of construction because the walls are thicker, so that increases the cost. Electrical has to be imbedded in the rock wall so that increases the cost and difficulty. It takes much longer to build, so that increases the cost and inconvenience.

If your main goal is to save money, I would go with stud wall construction and a fire resistant 4x8 siding (like some of the concrete board products) on the outside, and drywall on the inside. I doubt if you could get a manufactured home up your so-called "road," otherwise that would be an economical option.

Like you, I was interested in alternative construction materials because they are "free," or nearly so, but bear in mind that they take much longer to build and it doesn't save that much money overall. If you like the look, and if money and time are no object, then knock yourself out. If time and money are limited, it's hard to beat stud wall construction.

db71

Postby db71 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info. We arent in a state of financial duress. But times are tighter than we like. Our youngest wil be in college next year and her brother started this year. With my job location isnt a major issue (I already teach in 5 states as it is). With that said we dont "have to move right away and when we do it will be our last time. Right now we are looking for someone to drill a water well. But so far no one likes theidea of our "road" . We live 4.5 hours away so time is the biggest issue. Although often I work only 4 days a week. Right now we are looking for options. But we like the option of doing it with primarily materials from the land.

db71

Postby db71 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Would not dressing the mortar b3 a problem structurally? I actually like the rough look.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 pm

db71 wrote:Would not dressing the mortar be a problem structurally?

To the extent that it matters, good mortar joints should improve the strength.

Most of the strength is from the reinforced concrete behind the rocks. Some of the rocks are thin and don't contribute structurally, they are just a cosmetic facing.

Return to “Shop Construction Blog”