Woodshed and Alaskan Mill

mtngun
Site Admin

Woodshed and Alaskan Mill

Postby mtngun » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:01 pm

Now that the house is closed in, I can turn my attention to other projects. Like, I need a woodshed. It take approximately 10 pickup loads of firewood to heat the shop and house each year, and firewood doesn't burn worth a darn when it is left out in the rain. Plus, it's hard to find your firewood when it is buried under 3 feet of snow.

But ..... there is no budget for a woodshed. :cry:

Also, the house will need trim. Trim around windows, trim around doors, trim where the drywall meets the cordwood, etc.. Lots and lots of trim. Have you bought trim lately ? It's expensive !!!! Probably at least $1000 worth of store-bought trim to do the house and shop.

Like most bullet casters, I enjoy saving money and I enjoy making things myself. So ..... I will make my own trim, out of free wood from the forest.

Enter the Alaskan mill. You can't have too many power tools !!!! Seriously, I figure the mill will pay for itself by not having to buy $1000 worth of store-bought trim, and any other use I get out of the mill will be icing on the cake ..... like, for instance, milling lumber for a woodshed !!!!

So, I am gradually accumulating lumber and logs that will eventually be used to make trim pieces and to build a woodshed. The shed won't actually be built until next year, because hunting season is just around the corner, and winter after that.

[Picture below] Lots of blown down trees. It used to be thick forest, that protected the trees from wind. Notice how the trees are tall and spindly, with few lower branches -- that's how trees grow when they are protected from wind. If the same species grows in a windy area, then they are short, stubby, and have lots of lower branches.

Last year they clear cut some of it, creating a corridor for the wind, which these tall, spindly trees cannot handle. Plus the slash fire got out of control and killed a lot of good trees. The combination of fire damage and wind damage resulted in several acres of blown down trees. I feel it is my civic duty to help clean up the mess.

Milling with a view. The tree I am sawing here started out as a 24" dbh douglas fir that had been killed by the slash fire, and then blown over.

Douglas fir slabs, 12 foot long. Most are destined to become rafters for a woodshed.

Saw is an Olympyk 980, normally my firewood saw. The Italian Stallion has been pressed into milling duty until parts arrive for the Stihl 066, which suffered a broken wrist pin circlip. The Olympyk's chain adjustment is at the front, so the saw has to be removed from the Alaskan to tighten the chain. The 80cc saw struggles with the 36" bar, and bogs if you push it too hard. Nonetheless, it's milled quite a bit of lumber.

Chain is Bailey's 33RP.

Guide rail for the mill is an old 2x12 (not shown).

I've only been milling for a few weeks, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

I've tried using the Alaskan to make a cant, and then sawing out boards, vs. merely sawing full width slabs, and decided to go with the slabs. Slabbing reduces setup time, so I can spend more time sawing and end up with more wood in my truck. Once I get the slabs home, then I can snap a chalk line and rip boards with a skil saw, and I've got all winter to do that.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Woodshed and Alaskan Mill

Postby mtngun » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Well, the woodshed budget was wiped out by the overkill septic system and will have to wait till next year. In the meantime, the homemade lumber is getting put to good use for siding and trim.

The stud-frame areas -- the wall over the garage door, and the gable ends -- are getting board and batten siding, using rough sawn douglas fir. Also rough sawn douglas fir for exterior trim around the windows and doors.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 pm

And homemade, environmentally friendly board and batten siding for the rear gable end, too.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 am

The woodshed has begun.

Lots and lots to be done to get it closed in before the snow flies.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Making an 8x8 with a Granberg mini-mill.

A little more progress.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I ran out of douglas fir logs, so I had to make a couple of 8x8 posts out of ponderosa pine. The pine posts were placed on the interior wall where they won't be exposed to weather.

A major milestone was reached today as I finished erecting all the vertical posts.

We had our first frost yesterday, a reminder that it'll be a race to get the roof on before winter shuts down construction.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:21 pm

We have floor joists.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 pm

A little more progress.

mtngun
Site Admin