How's construction going?

5shooter

How's construction going?

Postby 5shooter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 am

I really enjoyed your shop construction posts! I understand how overwhelming things can be during construction, like finding time to build while trying to make a living while the weather is kicking your ass ...........

I am in the same boat you are and don't do near the shooting/testing as I would like. I also miss your range reports! Good luck on everything you have going on! I hope you are able to get the construction behind you soon and get back to the range! Spring is just around the corner. :D

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: How's construction going?

Postby mtngun » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:59 pm

There's been progress but I haven't updated because it's not the interesting kind of work -- drywall, wiring, paint, insulation. Over the winter, I finished insulating and closing in the 2nd floor, so it can be occupied now, even though much of the finish work -- trim, shelves, cabinets, flooring -- is lacking.

I even found time to finish insulating and sheetrocking the shooting shack, and unpacked most of the reloading gear. In theory, I could start reloading now -- if I had time. However, the shooting bench has not been built, and the target backstop that I started years ago is only halfway done. Plus, I'm going to be spending all my spare time and money on construction, so there won't be much shooting this year.

But it is still winter here, and winter is nearly a full time job in itself. We've received 7" of snow so far today, so I'll be doing snow removal after work.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 pm

We ended up with 8" of new snow today. "Trusty Rusty" opened up the roads.

Some of the local residents.

A neighbor's access road that I plowed, if you can call it a road.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Winter just doesn't want to quit. I spend a lot of time plowing and shoveling snow -- too bad I don't get paid for it.

Plowing the gravel county road this morning with my old Western cable plow. About 8" of sopping wet snow here.

Making a 2nd pass down a steep hill because this hill gives us a lot of trouble. It's on a north slope that rarely gets sunlight.

Starting to descend the mountain, snow only 4" here due to lower elevation.

About a mile further down the grade and only a skiff of snow. How do you like the "road" ? You should try plowing this at night, in a blizzard.

When I am not plowing or doing taxes :evil: or making molds, I have actually been working on the shooting shack. The fancy laminate flooring is done (it was on sale $1/sf) and the shelves are almost done. Next project will be building a shooting bench.

Return to “Shop Construction Blog”