softwood floors

mtngun
Site Admin

softwood floors

Postby mtngun » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Salvaged from local blown down douglas fir, home-milled, planed to an honest 1" x 6", with the edges relieved.

Glued down. A couple of finish nails hold each board in place until the glue sets up.

Honey brown stain, to be followed by several coats of polyurethane.

The softwood floors will scratch and ding easily, there's no getting around that. However, hardwood doesn't grow here, so one works with what is available.

turbo1889

Re: softwood floors

Postby turbo1889 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 am

Excellent craftsmanship there for home-made lumber. The only thing I would be personally worried about would be it warping as it cured over the next couple years or so, scratching due to it being soft wood instead of hard would be somewhere near the bottom of my list of worries. The warp factor is what has given me headaches over the years with my own experiments in home-made lumber. I've got one beam in my shop that started out nice and straight cut from what I thought was a nice dry log and now several years later it looks like a giant french fry all twisted warped and curled pulling at its mounting bolts; one of the ones I'm going to have to eventually replace.

As always I look forward to your continued posts in this section; especially with all the home-made lumber you use and other inventive ways you make due with materials readily at hand.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:01 am

These boards were milled two years ago, so they are bone dry.

To make a straight beam, first you need a tree that has no residual stress. The growth rings should be concentric all the way around the log. If the tree had a lean, the growth rings will be thicker on one side than another, and anything milled from it will have residual stress.

Beams should be either centered around the heart, or else should be 3" away from the heart. Don't mill the beam with the heart near the edge.

Even if you do everything right, some beams will still warp. The only sure way to make a perfect beam is to mill it oversize, let it dry for a couple of years, then mill it again to final dimensions.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 am

After several coats of poly.

The grain came out better than I expected.

Return to “Shop Construction Blog”