Every year I set some goals for myself and 2015's goal was to get back into shooting. That involved finishing some gunsmithing projects, building the water trap, and other range improvements.
Last year I used a borrowed backhoe to built a dirt berm behind the 100 yard target. The dirt berm seemed big enough at the time, but it gradually slumped ..... and slumped ... and kept slumping with no end in sight.
A retaining wall seemed to be the answer. I considered building a wall with railroad ties or concrete blocks. The problem was, those things cost money.
But rocks are free and plentiful in this area. I used fencing material left over from another project (originally used to make cages to protect my tree seedlings) to make gabion wire baskets. The baskets were filled with rocks. I stacked the gabions 3 rows high.
I wanted to make the target-side retaining wall out of dirt-filled tires. But I ran out of tires, so I had to switch to sandbags. The sandbags won't last forever, but hopefully by the time the sandbags wear out I'll have enough tires to finish the wall.
The finished product is about 9 feet high and 13 feet wide.