45-70 bullet

acelungger

45-70 bullet

Postby acelungger » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:32 am

I posted this in another section, I wasn't for sure where to place it!
My question is this, I am new to big Bore Long Range Shooting, but not to Long Range Shooting, over my 30 years of playing, I have allways found (for me) that a spiral tip long bullet will shoot a tighter group at longer distances, I have only found one co. that makes a spiral nose 45-70?
I would very much appreicate any advice! i knoe there are lots of you guys that shoot every day or at least every weekend like I use to! Some people have recommended a site that sells bullets and tells you what mould they were cast out of. I quess I will start there and work from that point! I have been trying to buy a cheap steel mould in a 300gr range and have a friend of mine mill it out to a spiral nose and about 405gr, but I havn't been lucky enough to find a cheao 45-70 mould, don't want to spend $30.00 on a mould and then might ruin it.
I would realy like to see some of you big bore shooters jump in and give advice, info what ever! Most likely 600 yards will be tops, but a friend of mine is wanting to go to that shoot they have out west that is a week event and I think they shoot 1000 yards?

Any help is better than none
ACE

P.S. Ace does not mean I am a good shooter, it is my cowboy name! 25 years ago allmost a ACE not know?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 45-70 bullet

Postby mtngun » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:14 am

I've never heard of a "spiral" point bullet. Perhaps you meant spitzer ? I cannot cut a spitzer, but numerous mold makers can. Here is one: http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliber.htm

Return to “General”