20 gauge (looking of answers)

bearbeater

20 gauge (looking of answers)

Postby bearbeater » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:50 am

Hey
I am frustrated with the lockstep, inside the box, do it this way, type of thinking. I live in and hunt in a shotgun/muzzleloader zone in Michigan. I agree with the full bore rifeling shotguns, own 2 of them. I want to cast a full bore .615 slug or paperpatch to .615 this is what my bore is mics to. I need a mold for this purpose. Now correct me if I am wrong. All a rifeled slug 20 or 12 gauge is, is a big bore rifel with a plastic straight wall. then why must I use a sabot??? I paperpatch and bore diameter my 4570 with great sucess. so whats th differance??? please help me understand!!! I have been casting and reloading fo 32years.
bearbeater

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 20 gauge (looking of answers)

Postby mtngun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:17 am

All a rifled slug 20 or 12 gauge is, is a big bore rifle with a plastic straight wall. then why must I use a sabot???

Not quite. Cast-friendly rifles have a proper throat. Shotguns may have an oversize forcing cone that the slug must leap across.

Cast-friendly rifles have proper twist. Dunno about slug guns. I have heard the twist may be a little fast.

But some people are shooting full diameter lead slugs in their shotguns. I don't have experience in that area so I can't give any detailed advice.

bearbeater

Postby bearbeater » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 am

hey
I understand the forcing cone but Dixie slugs have a full bore slug. Well I guess I will purchase a lyman foster at a diameter of .605 and paper patch.
Thanks
bearbeater

turbo_1889

Postby turbo_1889 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Well looks like I'm a little late to give an answer on this thread from my own experience - but figured I'd post anyway for future reference. I've had MM cut me several 20ga. solid slug molds as your describing. The internal bore diameter of various rifled barrel slug guns varies from 0.615'' to 0.625'' with the larger diameter range being more common. Slug your bore or at least measure it about an inch or so down into the muzzle with a pin type set gauge and then calipers or a micro-meter to check the pin gauge.

Long story short full-bore works great even with the forcing cone issue. Here is a picture of the general shape I made my mold:

And here is a link to a thread where I shared some of the slugs from the mold with another guy and he did independent accuracy testing on them out of his gun -- picture of a nice tight group included on the second page, third post down !!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47058

Return to “General”