testimonial

skunkmarshal

testimonial

Postby skunkmarshal » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:56 pm

I've had one of Dan's molds for about a month. I set out to design an accurate 45 cal rifle bullet for use in low pressure, smokeless loads (duplicating BP velocities) for a couple of Sharps rifles- a 45-70 and 45-110. I designed a GC bullet of medium weight (440 gr) for use in both calibers. The intended purpose ignored historical accuracy. The design focused mainly on target accuracy out to 300 +/- yards at the lower velocities (pressures). I used an alloy of about 40:1 plus small amount of WW for a final BHN of about 11. I think the results speak for themselves. I can now shoot consistent 5 shot groups under 1" at 100 yards with the 45-70. I just chronographed some loads out of the 45-110 while shooting for accuracy (two bullseye targets). Below are the targets from that range test. BTW the mean velocity of the pictured load on the left was 1241 with an SD of 5! I owe much of the success of this to the Mountain Mold!

Mountain Mold 45-110.jpg
Mountain Mold 45-110.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: testimonial

Postby mtngun » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to take credit, but you did all the important work yourself. :)

skunkmarshal

Postby skunkmarshal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:08 am

Well, credit where credit is due

Including a couple of other popular brand named molds, many molds (bullets) simply are not designed right or drop under-sized bullets or for sure under-sized in the alloys I shoot. The Mountain Mold design-your-own system simply can't be beat. And, the molds are made correctly and should last a lifetime. The one size fits all approach used by other mass production makers can work but in my experience usually don't cast bullets that realize the full potential of the load or the gun. Why pay $50-75 each for two or three molds that aren't quite right when with a little study and effort can be spec'd right and made right from the get go. :mrgreen:

lolo25643

Postby lolo25643 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:46 am

Great testimonial post skunkmarshal. I've got a Shiloh Sharps that I've had for several years and have only shot black powder loads in it. Other interest have kept me busy the past couple or three years and I kind of neglected it. Maybe I'll try working up some smokeless loads for it.

skunkmarshal

Postby skunkmarshal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

lolo,
KInd of politically incorrect to be shooting smokeless, GC loads in a Sharps but just trying to broaden the possibilities. :twisted: The easy one is the 45-70 by staying with trapdoor or lower pressure levels. The tricky part is going smokeless in the longer cartridges like the 45-2 7/8 or worse yet the 3 1/4! While working on the 45- 2 7/8 with the chrony I noticed that even with the smokeless powders that are listed as suitable for or should NOT be case position sensitive I was getting all the signs that the long case with the smokeless WAS showing squirrely SDs and velocities. That includes a load that I know is used by one of the commercial loaders and is listed in a couple of manuals for 45- 2 7/8 smokeless. May or may not be a problem but I sure payed attention to it. I read the chrony data as a warning.... not to mention that for any accuracy at extended ranges it simply wouldn't work. One of the best powders for this type application seems to be 5744.

BTW, I do shoot a lot of BP loads in both the 45-70 and 45-110 (2 7/8). The 45-70 is a Shiloh and the 45-110 is a C Sharps. The 45-110 (2 7/8) really likes swaged paper patched bullets over BP.

lolo25643

Postby lolo25643 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 am

skunkmarshal,

A lot of good results often get left behind due to being PC, I've been guilty of this myself on several occassions. I'll second the XMP5744, I started using this powder last year after one of my shooting buddies loaned me some for testing. I have an odd 44 mold in the works at the moment but after I receive it I may order a gas check design 458" myself and see what I can get the smokeless to do.

Return to “General”