Cast bullet penetration testing - wood as a test medium?

turbo1889

Cast bullet penetration testing - wood as a test medium?

Postby turbo1889 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Okay, I recently did some penetration and terminal performance testing of some cast lead shotgun slugs (oversize cast bullets). Mainly due to the fact that it was quick and handy at the time I used some big Douglas-Fir rounds as a testing medium. These were from dead standing dry timber that had been harvested for fire-wood and were destined for the chopping block and then the wood stove. They were about two foot diameter and about sixteen inches thick. The idea was use them for targets shooting at the end grain and them split them and measure the penetration and get a look at how well they tore up the wood (permanent wound channel).

Here are a couple of the test targets:

So after testing I split the log rounds and got some penetration depth measurements. In order images are as follow, My 1-11/16oz. 12ga. solids at 1,200fps. (8-9 inches penetration), My 1-3/8oz. 12ga. fosters at 1,350fps. (7-8 inches penetration), Remington 1oz. 12ga. factory fosters at 1,600fps. (4-5 inches penetration), My 1oz. 20ga. solids at 1,000fps. (5-6 inches penetration), and My 350gr 0.625" 20ga. round balls at 1,500fps. (10 inches penetration) I would have got some factory 20ga. loads measured too - but I didn't have any on hand! :? All I have "in stock" for the 20ga. are my own reloads!

Anyway, long story short, it's quite apparent that my loads kick factory load butt from the tests but that's about the extent of what it tells me at present. Anyone else got any cast bullet penetration data using end grain dry soft-wood rounds as a test medium. Mountain Gun, I know you are in the sticks like me. You ever check your loads this way and have some penetration data for me to compare too from various rifle and pistol cartridges? Anyone else ?????????????

By the way, the 20ga. solid slugs are from a very nice custom Mountain Mold. Would have bought the 12ga. solid mold here too, but you don't cut molds that big.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Cast bullet penetration testing - wood as a test medium?

Postby mtngun » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:03 am

Great pics. :) Yes, your cast slugs outperform the factory loads. Your loads should be quite effective on big game.

No, I don't bother with penetration tests because all of the cast bullets that I have hunted with, even the humble 357, have penetrated satisfactorily on deer/elk/black bear, at worst stopping under the hide on the far side. Now, if I could just place the bullets in the right spot every time ....... :oops:

I've experienced some problems with conventional cup-and-core jacketed bullets "blowing up" and failing to penetrate. I've also experienced some problems with those same bullets penciling through lung shots without expanding. Blunt hard cast bullets are usually reliable though they don't necessarily cause a lot of bleeding, depending on placement and velocity.

Thanks for sharing.

adwardrob

Postby adwardrob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 am

beautiful pics...
great effort..
keep it up...
:) 8-)

Porterhouse

Postby Porterhouse » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:10 am

Hi,
I have done similer test with S&W500 and 44mag a couple of years ago.
.500,525gr@1,500fps = 5"
.500,510gr@1,200fps = 10"
.430,250Keith@1,250 = 7"
The alloy was water dropped WW. Thought that the velocity and alloy hardness play big part for this kind of penetration. 525gr@1,500fps simply broken apart while others stayed one piece.

Return to “General”