Sprue Plate Holes

BrettT/C

Sprue Plate Holes

Postby BrettT/C » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 pm

I am going to order a small .313 mold for a 32 H&R mag / 327 federal and want to have smaller holes in the sprue plate. Is this possible? the large holes is the last .32 mold cause the base to tear. I do not see any point to the large holes on small bullets. On my .475 mold it is great to help fill out the bullets.

Thanks
Brett

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Sprue Plate Holes

Postby mtngun » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 pm

You are absolutely correct about the importance of sprue plate holes. There is no one-size-fits-all.

If the sprue hole is too big for a particular bullet/alloy, it may be difficult to cut the sprue, it may result in a bumpy base, and it may push the base out of round.

If the sprue hole is too small for a particular bullet/alloy, it may be difficult to achieve good fill.

The other side of the coin is that it takes time and money to maintain an inventory of sprue plates in a variety of sizes. That's why most manufacturers offer only one size. Inventory, or lack thereof, has been a huge problem for Mountain Molds, and it's one reason why we have been forced to eliminate some mold options.

Mountain Molds currently offers two sizes of sprue holes for each block. The most appropriate of the two will be shipped with your mold. At best, the sprue size will be suitable only for the specified alloy -- if you change alloys, all bets are off.

From time to time I am asked about making a custom sprue hole size. Since the sprue hole size is determined prior to countersinking, heat treating, grinding, and bluing, a custom size means a custom, one-of-a-kind sprue plate. Estimated shop time 8 hours (probably longer, but I'm trying to appear reasonable). Multiply 8 hours times a fair shop rate. That's in addition to the standard cost of a mold. :o

Sorry I could not tell you what you wanted to hear. ;)

Return to “General”