Loverin

Loverin

Postby 5shooter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am

I have read your range reports several times over the years and the same question comes up. What are Loverins?

Great range reports! Thanks!
5shooter

Re: Loverin

Postby mtngun » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm

A smart dude name Guy Loverin designed several rifle bullets back in great grandpa's day. They had a short nose, a long, full diameter body, and many small bands and grooves. Some of his designs were carried by Lyman, dunno if they are still in production.

Loverin's design was not entirely new, similar designs had been around for a while, such as the Harry Pope bullets and the Whitworth bullets. There were subtle differences but they all had a short nose, a long, full diameter body, and many small bands and grooves (though Pope liked to taper his bullets, and Dr. Mann liked to size Pope's bullets to bore diameter). However, Loverin's name stuck to the design and "Loverin" is now a generic label for any rifle bullet that has a short nose, a long, full diameter body, and many small bands and grooves.

Here is a pic I borrowed from the Moulton Lead website, the bullet on the left is Lyman mold #311466, a Loverin design.

Loverins have several advantages:
-- the bullet is supported for most of its length

-- holds lots of lube

-- small bands are easily engraved without distorting entire bullet (copied by modern solid bullets like the Barnes XXX)

-- multiple lube grooves improve gas seal

Disadvantages:
-- itty bitty bands can be a pain to cast

-- I think the original Loverin design is impaired by a modest GtoB, looks to be around 0.8 - 0.9

-- often has to be seated deep which some people fear is the end of the world because the bullet may protrude into the powder space, never mind that thousands and thousands of deep seated bullets have been shot without any issues.

Sorry I haven't posted any range reports recently. I'm still busy trying to build a house and deal with a backorder at the same time. One of these days ....
mtngun
Site Admin

favorite cartridge: 357 magnum

Return to General