54 cal bullet molds

argon99

54 cal bullet molds

Postby argon99 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello all
I shoot a lot of black powder and am looking for a bullet mold for the 54 cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter. 54 cal muzzle loaders do not seem to be as popular as the 50 or 58 so there are not a lot of selection for bullets. A bullet I wanted Lyman discontinued 10 years ago. And this leads me to my question. The online design tool only allows for a bullet of .465 diameter. Is this a limitation of the boring or a limitation of the software? If it is software is it possible to send in a design, in the same format as the design tool or otherwise, that would allow the production of a bullet for the 54 cal muzzle loader. The max diameter would be .551.

Black powder muzzle loading is a market that you are not tapping. This might be something to think about.

Am I SOL or can it be done?

Thank you for your time.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 54 cal bullet molds

Postby mtngun » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Sounds like you entered the design program in the default 45 caliber mode. Go back to the home page and select the "551/55-100 Maynard" caliber from the pull down menu. That should give you the range of diameters you are looking for.

Thanks for visiting. :)

argon99

Postby argon99 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:33 am

You were right I was in the wrong section. I did make up a design that looks good to me. I have a 1in32 twist barrel. The twist rate chart says I can use a 1.25 OAL inch bullet but that's just way to much lead. Here is a design I came up with:
Image I really would like to make the bottom two bands .544 not .551. When loading a muzzle loader the bullet really needs to go in straight and not have nicks on the base. A lot of bullets are designed with the bottom driving bands at a smaller size then the top band. I am using pure lead so the bottom of the bullet will bump up nicely and fill the bore. I could not figure out how to get this with the software. Maybe its a problem with the CNC I don't know.

Now that I have this design I would very much like to hear what other think about it.

I am well aware that I will need to be very conscious of range and bullet drop when I fire this bullet. It will have a rainbow trajectory but hit like a freight train.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:24 am

-- just spec the bullet at 0.544" and add a note asking for the front band to be 0.551"

-- I doubt if you will be crimping so you might want to trade the crimp groove for a lube groove

-- your bore riding option is not doing anything so might as well turn that off

Return to “General”