[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
One mould for .50 S&W & Beuwolf - Mountain Molds

One mould for .50 S&W & Beuwolf

michael owings

One mould for .50 S&W & Beuwolf

Postby michael owings » Mon May 17, 2010 2:51 pm

I have a S&W .50 and purchased a Beuwolf .50cal. I am looking for one 300 -> 335gr bullet mould with a gas check, to be used for both. Can you recomend one? Currently using a plain base 400gr in the Smith and jacketed 300gr in the Wolf. Also willing to go a little heaver -- 350gr.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: One mould for .50 S&W & Beuwolf

Postby mtngun » Mon May 17, 2010 7:56 pm

turbo1889

Re: One mould for .50 S&W & Beuwolf

Postby turbo1889 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Although I do not personally cast and load for any of the big 50-cal guns I am somewhat familiar with them due to the fact that my GF does own several different 50-cal guns and casts and loads for them. So by default that does give me a little bit of knowledge about them.

First, there are two different bullet diameters that are both commonly referred to as 50-cal. The smaller being 0.500"-0.501" for jacketed bullets and thus using cast boolits a thou. or two bigger diameter and the second size being 0.510"-0.511" for jacketed bullets and thus using cast boolits a thou. or two bigger diameter. I would suggest you first make sure that both the guns you intend the load the same boolit with are of the same size group if you haven’t already.

Provided they are both of the same size group I would suggest you swag the bores of both guns with a soft lead ball and make chamber/throat casts/measurements for both guns.

Size the diameter of the boolit to be a thou. or two larger then whichever of the two guns has a larger diameter bore (from swaging the bores) and set the length of the front nose band by whichever gun has the shorter length throat (chamber/throat casts/measurements).

Other then that the rest of the boolit shape is up to you. Personally I like SWC or truncated cone boolits with a 50% Meplat size and about a 45 degree nose angle with one or two big fat lube grooves for my large caliber handgun boolits. That results in a squatty shaped bullet with a short sharply angled nose cone and long heavy front driving band with a nice big fat lube groove or two right behind it. But as I said I don't personally mess with the big 50-cal offerings. For me the 44 and 45 calibers are the big boys. Attached picture below of what I’m talking about; works for me in my 44’s and 45’s.
Attachments
Stubby Large Caliber Boolit.GIF
Stubby Large Caliber Boolit.GIF (1.24 KiB) Viewed 3444 times

Return to “General”