425 Westley Richards question

DavidC

425 Westley Richards question

Postby DavidC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Dan,
I'm looking to design a bullet on your site for a 425 Westley-Richards. the cast diameter would be .436".
My question is I'd like to have a gas-check shank, but at that diameter, I seriously doubt a 44 mag gas check would either crimp on, or be any use.
Could you please share your thoughts on where to go with this problem, hopefully other than just staying with a plain base design.
I had thought maybe Gator-checks, being a little thicker than Hornady, might have been an option to use them?

Regards,
David.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 425 Westley Richards question

Postby mtngun » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:02 am

Let's see, a Hornady 44 check is about 0.434" - 0.435" OD, so it would not be crimped in a 0.436" sizing die.

However, I disagree that a 44 check would "be no use." Given enough pressure, it would obturate to fit the barrel.

Undersize checks have been used successfully. One example is 35 caliber checks for 9.3mm. Another is 500 caliber checks for 50 caliber muzzleloaders. The only catch is that there must be enough pressure to bump it up.

You also have the option of using a 45 caliber check, providing you use a good sizing die. Mass produced sizing dies, as they come from the factory, would not be up to the task. With a good die, it would be easy.

Examples of oversize checks are the 375 check on 9.3mm, 416 checks on 41 caliber, and 50 checks on 500 caliber. It's done all the time, you just have to have a decent sizing die.

I don't have a Gator 44 to measure, but for most calibers, Gator checks are the same thickness as Hornady checks.

jwp

Re: 425 Westley Richards question

Postby jwp » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:02 pm

It might be interesting to try the CFVentures soft gas checks: http://www.caversham16.freeserve.co.uk/. They work quite well in many applications. There's a link off of that web page to email the guy who makes these with questions about how you want to use them. My experience with him was that he was quite helpful.

Return to “General”