[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Mountain Mold 200 grain cast bullet at work - Mountain Molds

Mountain Mold 200 grain cast bullet at work

5shooter

Mountain Mold 200 grain cast bullet at work

Postby 5shooter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:51 pm

I drew a cow elk permit this year and was lucky enough to find one where I could retrieve it with my backhoe. She was 190 yards from my 336 Marlin Micro Groove in 35 Remington. I do not recommend attempting the velocity of this load in 35 Remington! It has proved safe in my rifle only! The 200 grain bullet is .360 diameter with an 80% meplat. The load chronographs at 2400 fps and as near as I can figure was traveling around 1600 fps 190 yards downrange. The bullet hit her behind the left shoulder breaking a rib and broke another rib on the way out the right side. You could see a red spray in the yellow grass behind her when the bullet exited. She immediately hung her head, walked about 15 yards and down she went.
1.jpg
1.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

The the ribs on the left side where the bullet entered were pretty much bloodshot. There was very little damage on the right side where the bullet exited, probably because of the lower velocity after penetrating the vitals. I am not having any luck posting multiple pictures and will try in a reply

5shooter

Re: Mountain Mold 200 grain cast bullet at work

Postby 5shooter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Bloodshot ribs where the bullet entered.
2.jpg
2.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 5034 times

Exit wound.
3.jpg
3.jpg (71.98 KiB) Viewed 5034 times

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Excellent shooting, 5shooter ! :o :o :o

Isn't it amazing how 35 caliber hard cast bullets don't bounce off elk ? And not only that, they even punch through the shoulders !

I'm a 35 caliber fan myself. And you can see why.

5shooter

Postby 5shooter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm

I was just looking at the bull you shot with your 357! That is incredible! I agree with you on 35 caliber. I don't know if it is luck of the draw, or if 35 calibers work great with cast. I have had incredible luck with the accuracy of my 357 Rossi 92, Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, and my old 35 Whelan on a Mauser action. They will all shoot well under 2 moa when pushed hard and are incredible killers. My 45-70 and 444 also shoot great with cast, but I am not near as fond of that recoil as I used to be.

Now if I could only get my 30 calibers shooting like that with cast. They seem to shoot great up to around 1800 fps then things go to hell when I try to push them harder. I wish I could get similar results to yours with the high velocity 30's. Guess I need something to fart around with if/when I get some time to do some testing.

Thank God for my trusty old 35's!

Return to “General”