Review: Mueller 4.5x14x40 Scope

mtngun
Site Admin

Review: Mueller 4.5x14x40 Scope

Postby mtngun » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:30 pm

I normally stay away from "big" scopes because they're useless in the woods. But now that I have my own rifle range I can justify some dedicated equipment for benchrest testing cast bullets.

Anyway, I wanted a decent target scope for a TC carbine. The budget was tight so I took a chance on a Mueller 4.5x14, after carefully reading reviews and comparing to other brands. http://muelleroptics.com/mapv451440#more-149

Pluses
-- glass is clear and bright all the way to the edges, even at full power.

-- positive click adjustments

-- adjustable parallax

Minuses
-- the eye relief is "thin," meaning you have to position your eye in exactly the right place if you want to enjoy the full view and be in focus. The eye relief is definitely not as forgiving as a Leupold.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, considering the price. Let's just hope it holds up to a steady diet of benchrest shooting.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Review: Mueller 4.5x14x40 Scope

Postby mtngun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Update: When I was putting the Mueller back on the TC today, I felt something rattling inside the scope. The noise seemed to be coming from the eyepiece area.

To make a long story short, I unscrewed the eyepiece and found that an internal lock ring had rattled loose, allowing a thick lens to rattle around inside the eyepiece.

I also noticed that the inside of the scope was extremely dusty.

I cleaned it up as best I could, snugged up the internal lock ring, and now the scope is back to normal with no rattle.

Whatever nitrogen was inside has probably escaped but I'm not convinced it was ever air-tight to start with. ;)

I'm guessing the tremendous recoil of the 357 magnum :roll: had loosened the internal lock ring. I applied a tiny dab of sealant to the lock ring so maybe it'll stay put this time.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Review: Mueller 4.5x14x40 Scope

Postby mtngun » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Update: twice today the eyepiece O-ring popped out. When that happens, the lens rattles around inside the eyepiece and there's a concern that accuracy may be affected.

The o-ring seems too skinny and wimpy to stay in place.

I suppose I could file a warranty claim, but I doubt if a replacement scope would hold up any better if the o-ring design is defective as I suspect it is. So I'll just keep putting it back together and perhaps scrounge a thicker o-ring.

It's a shame because the glass is quite decent.

Return to “General”