springbuck with S&W 500

mtngun
Site Admin

springbuck with S&W 500

Postby mtngun » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 pm

from the old forum:

The 500 S&W in Africa

From Jan in Namibia
I mounted a spare Aimpoint I have on the 500. Shot the scope in at my local range and took it hunting. I shot this springbuck ram at 65 meters trough the neck.
Being used to shooting with a rifle I was quit surprised with the effect of the 500 bullet on the buck. My immediate thought after the shot was a miss as I could not detect any sign of a hit (must say that I lost sight of the buck for a fraction of a second during recoil.
The springbuck calmly walked away. after a few steps I noticed the blood pumping from its neck and 20 meters further it dropped.
By the time I reached the Springbuck it was already dead.
The shot took it trough the neck, missing the bone but severed both jugulars.
50 shots later the Aimpoint was destroyed by the recoil. Will have to start hunting open sight.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: springbuck with S&W 500

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Another report from Jan
The bullets I cast using your 500gr mould gives me an average group of 3" at 100 meters over a rest.
I do find the groups opening up due to leading from about 50 rounds upwards but find it acceptable compared to the hassles and cost I would experience had I opted for using gas checks.

Took the 500 hunting again and shot this Kudu Bull at a ranged distance of 165 meters using a tree branch as a rest.
I Kudu stood broadside so I shot it on the shoulder.(entry hole can be seen on photo if looking closely). I found the bullet on the far side just under the skin. The Hard Cast bullet,although breaking some bone, fully penetrated the with of the Kudu in a straight line with no deflection of course and just failed to break the skin on the far side. The bullet, retaining about 96% was still close to perfect apart from a bit of wear and a cough on the nose caused by a sharp piece of heavy bone.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 pm

Very nice Kudu,165 Meters open sights,that man can shoot.

Sean

glt41

Postby glt41 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:01 pm

You might could tone your loads down but then where is the fun in that--good shootin'

Return to “General”