Photobucket shafted us

mtngun
Site Admin

Photobucket shafted us

Postby mtngun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 am

As you probably know, Photobucket has shut down our shared photos on this forum and others. They think they are going to blackmail us into giving them money but instead all they are doing is pissing people off and driving people away. There is no shortage of dumb business management. :x

I am gradually repairing my broken Photobucket links but it's a huuuuge job that will drag out for a while.

Even if you have your photos backed up somewhere, the trick is identifying the correct photo, since the filename in the IMG link is typically different than the name you assigned to the photo. Here is what has worked for me so far:

1) "Edit" the forum link so that you can see the IMG link. The IMG link should look something like this. Select and copy the photo name, in this case "vaughn_imbalance_zpspmgmppun.jpg."

Code: Select all

[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/vaughn_imbalance_zpspmgmppun.jpg[/img]

2) Open a new browser tab. Paste the following link except substitute your Photobucket account name and your photo name. If you got the names correct it should open the photobucket page for that photo. Mind you, the photo will probably be hidden behind the "Please give us money if you want to see your photo" image, but nonetheless your photo is still there (as of today) and you can download it to your PC. Click the little gear symbol on the upper right and select "download." Go find the downloaded file on your PC and rename it to an intuitive name. Now you can upload the photo to another photo host (I currently favor Imgur) and replace the broken forum link. Yes, it's a lot of work but at least you have a way to repair those broken photo links.

Code: Select all

http://s487.photobucket.com/user/YOUR PHOTOBUCKTET ACCOUNT NAME/media/YOUR FILENAME.JPG.html

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket shafted us

Postby mtngun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Update: here's a simpler method to find and download your Photobucket image.
1) edit the forum post so you can see the IMG information.

2) copy the link inside the IMG tags.

3) open a new browser tab.

4) paste the link in the new browser tab and a ".html" to the link. Hit the ENTER key.

5) that should open up the Photobucket page for that particular image (you may need to log into Photobucket if you haven't already).

6) the image will probably be hidden behind the "please give us money if you want to see your photo" sign, but ignore the warning and just right click on the sign.

7) a menu should open. Choose "Save image as."

8) save the photo to your PC.

9) go to the saved photo, rename it with an intuitive name. Now you can upload it to a hosting site and finish editing your forum post to show the newly hosted photo.

There are probably other ways to do it. For me, the hard part is finding the particular photo I need out of over a thousand photos in my Photobucket account. This method takes me right to the correct photo.

Return to “General”