Custom Ruger

45idaho

Custom Ruger

Postby 45idaho » Wed May 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I had a local gunsmith convert my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt to an oversize line reamed 5 shot cylinder with a new 4 3/4" barrel in the same caliber. I am so excited about how well it shoots, I thought I would share some of the results. The first group I shot was at 50 yards with a GC 340 grain Lyman over 22.5 grains of H110. 5 shots were at 2 5/8". The 2nd group I shot through this revolver was a GC 325 grain Mountain Mold bullet with a big 80% meplat. 5 shots were at 1 1/2" at 50 yards! I hope I attached the picture properly. I shot these same loads at 100 yards and the Lyman shot a 5 shot 4 1/2" group and the Mountain Mold bullet shot a 6" 5 shot group. 4 of these shots were 4 1/4". Both of these loads chronograph right at 1200 fps. It amazes me to be able to shoot groups that tight with open sights and a 4 3/4" barrel! It would be interesting to see how good this thing would shoot with some optics, but this is a packing gun and it shoots good enough for me.

PB 255 grain bullets at 1200 FPS shot 3" at 50 yards. The heavier bullets always shot better in the unmodified Blackhawk. Even with proper allignment a long bearing surface seems to shoot the best.

The cylinder throats are .4515 and the groove dia is .451 and the bullets were sized to .452. After 50 rounds there was absolutely no leading in the new barrel. There was always a dark area on one side of the barrel and I tried laying the pistol on the other side after firing and the dark area moved to the other side of the barrel, so I'm sure it is smoke settling. There was very slight leading after shooting 50 PB bullets, but a couple shots of GC bullets would remove the small streaks of lead.

I couldn't shoot groops this tight at half the distance with the same unmodified Ruger Blackhawk and there was always lead in the barrel after a few rounds. It seems that proper sizing and allignment solved all of my problems. I should have modified this pistol long ago. It would have saved me countless hours of trying every load, bullet size, bullet lube, etc availiable.

DSCN2091 2.jpg
DSCN2091 2.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 4459 times

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Custom Ruger

Postby mtngun » Thu May 15, 2008 5:34 am

Excellent data, thank you very much for sharing.

Isn't it amazing how much better guns shoot cast when the gun is made right ?

454cl

Postby 454cl » Mon May 26, 2008 3:56 am

My ruger bisley hunter in 41 mag shoots like that with my Mtn Mold 255GC with H-110 also.My F/A 454 shoots like that also with Mtn Mold 300GC and RCBSGC,but it cost a lot more.The line boring is the way to go for great accuracy.I think I got lucky on the 41 mag and don't even think about selling it.Congratulatios on your fine shooting ruger,I'd like to get one with a 5 1/2 barrel some day.

bagdadjoe

Postby bagdadjoe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Can I borrow your 'smith's name and addy? I've been laying off doing this since I got real hot about it in 2000. What kind of price range is a conversion these days? If not now, when!
thanks,
Joe bagdadjoe@yahoo.com will get it to me

Return to “revolvers”