Enfield 38/200 Bullet

yellowhousejake

Enfield 38/200 Bullet

Postby yellowhousejake » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Good afternoon,

Found your site and heard about your molds. I have been looking for a bullet for the 38/200 Enfield revolver. I happened upon an Enfield that is tight with matching numbers. I shoots reasonably with 174gr factory LRN but they ain't cheap and they do not shoot to POA.

I tried to use the online design tool but I think there is a problem between my keyboard and the chair ;^) I have a cartridge OAL of 1.200" with a case length of .760". The factory 160gr RNL have an inside length of .250", that leaves me with .440" of available nose length I can use and a max bullet OAL length of .690". If my math is correct. Try as I might I cannot get the design to properly calculate the correct inside case length and bullet OAL at a weight of 200gr WW.

This is a 25 yard revolver, I am just looking for a bullet weight to get the sights regulated at the right velocity, which is slow. I do not care if the bullet is TC or TAN, 50% metplat or 80% metplat doesn't matter to me. I am just looking for the proper inside the case length and weight. The little 38SW case is short enough I don't want to put any more bullet inside than a factory load to avoid any pressure issues.

I attached a screen shot of the best I could arrive at, can you see where I am going wrong?

Thank you!

Dave
Attachments
38-200-mold.jpg
38-200-mold.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 6772 times

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Enfield 38/200 Bullet

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks for posting the screen shot and the detailed measurements. That helps a bunch.

Mind you, I don't know the first thing about the Enfield revolvers, so all I can do is ask a question that will hopefully put us on the path to the answers.

The factory 160gr RNL.......a max bullet OAL length of .690".

Question: Are you saying the factory 160 grain bullet has a length of around 0.690" ????? Cuz that sounds about the right length for a 160 grain bullet.

Question: You do know that a 200 grain bullet is going to be longer than a 160 grain bullet, right ?

Bearing in mind that I know absolutely nothing about loading for Enfield revolvers, I'm guessing a 200 grain bullet is going to seat deeper than you had in mind. I don't know if that is a problem or not.

yellowhousejake

Postby yellowhousejake » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:46 pm

mtngun wrote:Question: Are you saying the factory 160 grain bullet has a length of around 0.690" ????? Cuz that sounds about the right length for a 160 grain bullet.

The one I have, and old UMC bullet measures .640" and weights 158gr, appears to be very soft and hollow based. I "guesstimated" the size needed for a 200gr based on available space in the cylinder while keeping the bullet length inside the case the same. It's not written in stone.

mtngun wrote:Question: You do know that a 200 grain bullet is going to be longer than a 160 grain bullet, right ?

Well yes, unless I use a different style nose, which I am not against. My interest is in safely duplicating the ballistics, the shape is less important to me than the shootability of the revolver.

mtngun wrote:Bearing in mind that I know absolutely nothing about loading for Enfield revolvers, I'm guessing a 200 grain bullet is going to seat deeper than you had in mind. I don't know if that is a problem or not.

That makes two of us. I can find little beyond wives tales and sacred cast bullet writings concerning the Enfield revolver. Neither of which I take as gospel. I can load a deeper bullet if needed, I just have to start low, use the Chrony, and pay attention. Good reloaders do that right? ;)

Here is a thread on Cast Boolits I stumbled upon that shows the bullet in question.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=39903

Lower in the thread on page 2 is a picture of a nose punched bullet, no longer round nosed, that is pretty close to what I am looking for. I just don't want to have to size the bullet down .003, and punch the nose flat to use the mold they have. Their bullet is oversized in diameter, I do not know why. My cylinder throats measure .361, bore is .357. If I try to load a bullet bigger than .359 the case will not chamber. So a .361 bullet ain't gonna happen in this old revolver.

I understand I will not install an Aristocrat rib and rule the pin matches, but so far a soft .359 WC has worked well, just shoots too low. If I can get the same performance in a 200gr weight I think I will be good. I very much appreciate your help in this.

DAve

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:08 am

The only thing I can add is to consider a softer alloy, like tape on wheelweights. They don't cast well, but they will be denser (shorter bullet) and obturate easier. Obturation will be necessary to shoot 359 bullets in a 361 throat.

yellowhousejake

Postby yellowhousejake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I appreciate the answer. I will give a softer alloy a try with the .358 wadcutters. I may try to beagle the mold for a batch and see if I can get the bullet up to .359 or .360 and still chamber them safely.

When I know more I will try the mold designer again.

DAve

Return to “revolvers”