my personal taste in revolver bullets

mtngun
Site Admin

my personal taste in revolver bullets

Postby mtngun » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:55 pm

from the old forum:

I have posted on this before but the question keeps getting asked over and over again.

Which bullet design is best for revolvers?

Of course, many different designs have worked well and in the end it is largely a matter of individual taste, both yours and the gun's.

I don't try to force my opinions on anyone, but if you do want to know my opinion, simply look at what I am shooting.

The bullet the attached picture is typical of what I am shooting these days. Actually, the design continues to be tweaked and has gone through several iterations, with a trend toward a shorter nose, deeper seating, and a bigger GtoB.

Here is the thinking behind it:

-- short nose TC forces deep seating, WHICH IS A GOOD thing, because the 357 has excess powder capacity with 160 grain bullets (it's not until you reach 190 - 200 grains that powder space becomes an issue).

-- Deeper seating also improves bullet pull which in turn seems to reduce velocity standard deviation. The deep seated bullet cut the standard deviation in half compared to conventional bullet designs.

-- Deeper seating also means there is more room for lube grooves.

-- The TC nose makes it easy to determine how the full diameter front band will fit in the throat. I started out with an ogival nose and slightly undersize front band, and ended up sizing the nose (upside down in a lubrisizer) to ensure reliable chambering. The TC eliminated that problem. I don't claim better or worse accuracy with the TC, just a more predictable fit in the throat.

-- 80% meplat because anything bigger won't stabilize, and even the 80% needs max velocity or else accuracy falls off. This is a hunting bullet, pure and simple. If accuracy were my main goal, I would shrink the meplat.

-- My pet 357 wheelgun does not have a fouling problem, but nonetheless I'm moving toward bigger GtoB's because they have helped in other guns, and there doesn't seem to be a down side except for getting the lube to stay in the grooves at the reloading bench.

Return to “revolvers”