444 marlin mold???

joecool911

444 marlin mold???

Post by joecool911 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 am

I have never cast any bullets, but have cast fishing weights from wheel weights.

I have a 444 marlin (new with Ballard riflings) and am looking for a high B.C. as possible cast bullet mold. That is probably going to be a LFN design? In reading at Beartooth Bullets, it seems that these guns like having their noses jammed in the throat to leave land marks in the bullets, but not pull the bullet back out of the case when extracting.

Anyway, will I need a lubrisizer after casting these bullets? Do these bullets get gas checks? My experience is that gas checks are more accurate.

I would like a recommendation for bullet molds in the 2,200 fps range in 290 to 355 grains. I am willing to play with loading, but want to know that the molds I get are going to produce bullets that will provide tight groupings proven in the 444.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 444 marlin mold???

Post by mtngun » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:41 pm

joecool911 wrote:I have never cast any bullets, but have cast fishing weights from wheel weights.
Then you are practically there.
I have a 444 marlin (new with Ballard riflings) and am looking for a high B.C. as possible
Wrong. Forget about B.C.
That is probably going to be a LFN design?
The LFN design is a term used by Veral Smith at LBT.
In reading at Beartooth Bullets, it seems that these guns like having their noses jammed in the throat to leave land marks in the bullets
, but not pull the bullet back out of the case when extracting.
That is true of cast bullets in any rifle or SS pistol. Easier said than done. More than a few expensive custom molds have been purchased for lever guns only to find that the bullet would not chamber. Something to consider very carefully. Please refer to the thread on the 444 for specific advice.
Anyway, will I need a lubrisizer after casting these bullets? Do these bullets get gas checks? My experience is that gas checks are more accurate.
For 444 marlin velocities and pressures, I would recommend using a gas check, and yes, they need to be crimped on by sizing.
I am willing to play with loading, but want to know that the molds I get are going to produce bullets that will provide tight groupings proven in the 444.
Ha ha ha, you want a proven bullet. There is no such thing, but the designs discussed in the 444 thread are a good starting point.

When I started shooting cast bullets, I too, wanted a proven bullet and load. I used the same gun, the same bullet, and the same load as often recommended by big shot gunwriters who wore a ten gallon hat, yet it fouled the barrel and yielded only mediocre accuracy in my gun. When it comes to cast bullets, every gun is different, and very small changes in the gun dimensions or load recipe can make the difference.

But the 444 is cast friendly and you should be OK as long as you select a bullet that will chamber and use a gas check. Heavy cast bullets are more forgiving so you are on the right track with the 290+ grains.

joecool911

Post by joecool911 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 am

So how then can a guy that is not interested in fine tuning molds through trial and error, get satisfactory results or even begin to order a mold? Can I send a cast bullet to you that works well and have a mold made from it?

mtngun
Site Admin

Post by mtngun » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 am

The majority of shooters would rather someone else do the design and testing. That is what the other mold companies have done. Lyman, RCBS, NEI, LBT, etc.. Their offerings are limited, and their designs may or may not be truly "proven."

Mountain Molds is a place where people who wish to design their own bullets can do so using the online program.

7.62man

Post by 7.62man » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Glen Fryxell 300grain mold is proven and Is a real game harvestor. As a new guy I would try that one first if you want a custom mold. Glen design works very well.