433-415GC Huckleberry

6pt-sika
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby 6pt-sika » Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Well I was able to get to the range today and shoot a bit .

The new 433-415GC bullets that Mt Sourdough sent me , today I tried them with 40 and 41 grains of Varget as well as 35 and 36 grains of Varget .

The 40 grains of Varget put three in .875" at 100 yards . The 41 grain group opened a bit and they may have been my fault . The 35 grain RL7 group was 1.875" while the 36 grain load at 100 yards was 2.125" . To be honest for this rifle with this bullet the 35 grain load of RL7 is acceptable in my book as I do not consider this rifle/load combo much more then a 100-150 yard setup .

Cycling of the new bullet thru the loading port and into the chamber is good bit better then the bullets from the older 433-425GC mold .

Took the Chrnoy with me and clocked all the Huckleberry bullets new and old today . But the data is in my range bag so that will have to wait until later this evening !

mt_sourdough
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby mt_sourdough » Thu May 02, 2013 6:32 pm

.875" at 100 with 40 gr of Varget huh? That is good to know. But, like you said, this is more of a close range bullet, at least that is how I think of it. What was the COL if I may ask?

mt_sourdough
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby mt_sourdough » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm

6pt-sika wrote:Well I was able to get to the range today and shoot a bit .

The new 433-415GC bullets that Mt Sourdough sent me , today I tried them with 40 and 41 grains of Varget as well as 35 and 36 grains of Varget .

The 40 grains of Varget put three in .875" at 100 yards . The 41 grain group opened a bit and they may have been my fault . The 35 grain RL7 group was 1.875" while the 36 grain load at 100 yards was 2.125" . To be honest for this rifle with this bullet the 35 grain load of RL7 is acceptable in my book as I do not consider this rifle/load combo much more then a 100-150 yard setup .

Cycling of the new bullet thru the loading port and into the chamber is good bit better then the bullets from the older 433-425GC mold .

Took the Chrnoy with me and clocked all the Huckleberry bullets new and old today . But the data is in my range bag so that will have to wait until later this evening !

That is actually similar to my numbers from testing the 35 and 36 gr loads the same day you did. At 50 yards my groups were like .77" and .875" for 35 and 36 grains of RL7 respectively. My best group so far was with 38gr of RL7. I will be doing some case head measurement tests with loads up to 38gr with RL7.
My next powder to try is going to be H4198. That powder is such a standard for 444 shooters, so it seems smart to gather data with that powder.

6pt-sika
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby 6pt-sika » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am

I've never been big on H4198 . Not saying it won't work just never have cared for it much . I think 38 of RL-7 is more then I wanna deal with to be honest as I didn't care for 37 grains . The RL-7 and possibly Varget hit me as the way to go with the big boys . And as you said alot of folks like H4198 for the lesser weight rounds I'm more of a H322 and IMR8208 person .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

6pt-sika
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby 6pt-sika » Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 am

Velocities I got yesterday with the older 433-425GC mold you traded me for six shots . 35 grains RL-7 were 1680 FPS , with 36 grains was 1696 FPS . With the bullets you sent me from the newer mold I got the following from the average of 3 shots each . 40 grains Varget 1498 FPS , 41 grains Varget 1576 FPS , 35 grains RL-7 1722 FPS , 36 grains RL-7 1751 FPS . I can offer no reasoning for the difference in velocity with the same powder charges of the two bullets other then the 5-10 grains difference in bullet weight !

User avatar
mtngun
Site Admin
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Where the Salmon joins the Snake

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby mtngun » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am

6pt-sika wrote: I can offer no reasoning for the difference in velocity with the same powder charges of the two bullets other then the 5-10 grains difference in bullet weight !


Thanks for the data.

Does the faster bullet seat deeper in the case ?

Sounds like a good load for rogue elephants and such. ;)

6pt-sika
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby 6pt-sika » Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 am

mtngun wrote:
Does the faster bullet seat deeper in the case ?


Perhaps as he made the nose a bit shorter .

mt_sourdough
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby mt_sourdough » Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 pm

The answer is yes, the new bullet sits deeper. The reason for the change is to create a bullet that loads in a standard 444, through the loading gate especially. The idea is a person can just seat it to the crimp groove and shoot. Easy to accomplish up to somewhere around 400gr but the bulge in the case changes the loading angle with bullet weights above that.
Seated at 2.495", the rim of the case just gets past the back edge of the port. With a .275" nose length, you can load to that depth and have a front band that seats snugly into the throat. No turning case necks or modifying loading ports.
Once I accomplished that, I hoped to have a bullet that can be pushed to 1800 fps and I have achieved that with 38 gr of RL7. I have been told as I ventured into this project over a year ago, that velocity drops off so fast after 400gr that it defeats the purpose. I held the belief that space lost inside the case wont be so great that it make the bullet useless. Of course I have already pushed the 450 Hamfist close to 1700fps and that bullet has so many faults.
The accuracy with the Huckleberry has been plenty satisfactory.

H4198 has been really swell for me with bullets, both cast and jacketed, up to 300gr. I want to ultimately test the bullet with above mentioned powders, plus H322, H335, H4895, IMR3031, Win748 and some others just to get some data with some of the more popular powders with 444 shooters.

6pt-sika
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby 6pt-sika » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

mt_sourdough wrote:H4198 has been really swell for me with bullets, both cast and jacketed, up to 300gr. I want to ultimately test the bullet with above mentioned powders, plus H322, H335, H4895, IMR3031, Win748 and some others just to get some data with some of the more popular powders with 444 shooters.



H322 , H335 and W748 I would go along with !
Might even consider VV N-120 , VV N-130 and VV N-530 . Another powder thats done fairly well for me over the years with variouse weights cast and jacketed in the 444 has been XMR2015 .

mt_sourdough
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 433-415GC Huckleberry

Postby mt_sourdough » Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm

I did some three shot groups at 100 yards with 35 and 36 grains of RL7. Three separate groups of three for both loads, Overall, I was a little disappointed with the groups I got. The very last shot was lackadaisical and went a bit high and made the last group pretty worthless for comparison. The 35gr groups were very consistent, but consistently a smidgen over 2" (2.13" avg.). The best group was with 36gr but the groups are less consistent and of course the last shot was with the 36 gr load. I am still trying to decipher today's data and I am not sure how to feel about it yet.
In the pic below, the two shots in the middle are the fouling/sight in shots. The 35 gr groups are on the left side and 36gr groups on the right.
Image


Return to “lever actions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron