Finally, a little group shooting with the not-so-great Shaw barrel.
I haven't had time to re-cut the loverider mold so these bullets still have the too-small-to-engrave 0.3014" bore riding bands. The driving bands were sized 0.309", just because that's the smallest die I have at the moment.
Possibly 0.308" might work better.
The 150 grain loverider was loaded with 50.7 gr. WW760, WLRM primers, and HVR lube. 3.045" COL, to kiss the rifling with the front band. Average velocity was 2681 fps with 1.2% standard deviation. I'm used to seeing 0.5% standard deviation in a good rifle load.
The 165 grain loverider was loaded with 52.2 gr. WW760, WLRM primers, HVR lube, and 3.147" rifling to kiss the rifling with the front band. I did not size the cases. Most of the necks were tight enough to hold a bullet without re-sizing, but some were a little loose. More on that later. Average velocity was 2672 fps with 1.1% standard deviation. The 1.1% standard deviation seems high to me.
Results of 3-shot groups shown in the chart. The 150 averaged 5.52" while the 165 averaged 2.44". Clearly, the Shaw prefers the heavier bullet. Plus the 150 grainer seemed to lose accuracy and velocity as more shots were fired, suggesting it may have a fouling problem.
Velocities shown in chart. Way too much variation by my standards, plus the 150 grainer seemed to lose velocity as more shots were fired, suggesting it may have a fouling problem.
Best group of the day, shot with the 165 grain loverider averaging 2691 fps. If I could do this every time, I'd be a happy caster. Problems Encountered:
-- Too much variation in neck fit. I've been turning necks on a Forster case trimmer, which is not the greatest neck turner to begin with, plus my only 30 cal turning mandrel is 0.299", way too sloppy for precision work.
-- the M700's trigger is way too heavy for target shooting. I thought I had adjusted it to about 1 1/2 pounds, but now it feels like about 4 pounds. Either the adjustment has worked loose or else I'm not remembering things clearly (it's been 7 years since I shot this rifle).
-- as mentioned previously, the 0.3014" bore riding bands don't even touch the rifling. I suspect the 150 grainer would have shot better if the bore riding bands engraved lightly.
-- my chrono doesn't like the late afternoon light. I'd like to make a diffuser and/or a cover with artificial lighting so I can chronograph day or night, rain or shine.Lessons Learned and Things to Do Next Time:
-- get the bugs worked out of my neck turning system.
-- get a cover or diffuser for the chrono
-- recut the 165 grainer bore riding bands to 0.3025" or so.
-- try a 180 grainer and possibly a 190. Give up on the 150 grain bullet.
-- try to adjust the trigger. If it can't be adjusted, ask Santa Claus for an aftermarket trigger
-- make a 0.308" sizing die
-- make a nose die that matches the throat (cut the tapered part of the die with the throating reamer)