Miller Twist Rule

mtngun
Site Admin

Miller Twist Rule

Postby mtngun » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Somehow I didn't hear about the Miller Twist Rule until just now. Oh well, better late than never. :lol:

Anyway, it's a spinoff of Greenhill's formula, and sometimes used by benchrest shooters who are looking for the minimum twist to stabilize a particular bullet at a particular velocity. The general rule of thumb is that best benchrest velocity happens when the bullet is spun just fast enough to be on the ragged edge of stability.

I slapped together a spreadsheet to calculate the required Miller's Twist Rate for some loads that I have been playing with lately, assuming a stability factor of 1.2 (less than 1.0 is unstable, short range benchrest favors 1.2, long range benchrest favors 1.4).

155 gr. spitzer in 357 mag at 2000 fps: 1 turn in 25.4"

60 gr. spitzer in 6x45 at 2500 fps: 1 turn in 17.7"

135 gr. spitzer in 30-06 at 2500 fps: 1 turn in 20"

165 gr. spitzer in 30 caliber at 2500 fps: 1 turn in 17.7"

Compared to conventional wisdom and practice, those are some pretty slow twists. :o

Update: Here is an online calculator for Miller's Stability factor. You tell it your bullet and twist, it tells you the stability factor. Here is the output for my Contender 357 mag:

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Miller Twist Rule

Postby mtngun » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Another link that calculates the Miller stability factor for your load.

Sample output. It's not as user friendly as Berger's calculator, but Berger's website has been down for a few days. :lol:

BTW, I was using the Miller rule to check different cast bullets in a 1-14" twist 22 BR that I am building. The Miller rule says it should stabilize up to 60 grains if the bullet is made of wheelweight. It might even get away with 65 grains though that would be on the ragged edge. Of course jacket bullets are longer for a given weight so are typically limited to 50 - 55 grains in a 1-14" twist.

Return to “hi velocity”