Questions 20 gauge

plumberroy

Questions 20 gauge

Postby plumberroy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I have a tracker 2 H&R 3-4 Years ago I set out to make me a poormans 20 bore rifle out of it bought some hard cast slugs from Dixie slug and set out experimenting . I got to 2 1/2 - 4inch groups @ 50 yard at 1200 fps . Well my job (auto industry) went a way . I am now back to where I can play with this again . Dixie no longer sell the 20 gauge slugs. Your bullet design system show a bullet close to what I shoot .
So here are my questions and concerns :
Since this is just a toy I'm want to try to keep cost down some .
The cast slugs from dixie measure .625 dia. and can be pushed down the bore with out much effort engaging the rifling just enough to turn when hand pushing. Could a bullet @ .627 with your tolerance of a max of +.002 be shot as cast, and hand lubed ? Powder blow by is not a great concern because I use a plastic gas seal plus several nitro cards to build up colunm height.
No I have not slugged the bore but know plus .002-.004 still has plenty of clearance
I was loading loading bpi 3 "multi hulls plastic gas seal over powder 6-7 nitro cards over that 2 1/4 cork wads 2 1/4 felt wads and the slug setting on a nitro card and roll crimping
Roy

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Questions 20 gauge

Postby mtngun » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't have any experience loading slugs or even shotgun shells so you know 1000 times more about it than I do.

I would say that as long as the round cycles and chambers normally, a few thou oversize should not hurt a thing and might even help.

kaytod

Re: Questions 20 gauge

Postby kaytod » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 am

Plumberroy,

I know James of Dixie, he's a great guy.

With your NEF 20ga, If you can get a good measurement of the groove dimension, this will help. Solid slugs give less pressure than that of a shot column. The reason is the shot acts as stemming and "wedges" against the bore. On a solid slug it simply is pushed down the barrel and the only "tight" spot is the engraving of the rifling. Once that is done it is simply a movable plug.

I have found that +.003 for the 20 bore is quite acceptable, and will aide in getting better accuracy. Where the shotguns really falter is with the forcing cone being cut for shot columns, even on slug guns. This leaves the bullet unsupported in is transfer from case to barrel, and many times is far oversize to your slug. It allows the slug to cant and hit the rifling unsquare. Fatter bullets will aide in this as will using 3" hulls matching the chamber length.

Let me know how you get along.
Todd

Return to “General”