Marlin 35 Remington

mtngun
Site Admin

Marlin 35 Remington

Postby mtngun » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24 pm

A customer shared his throat impression from a Marlin 35 Remington.

There is no freebore to speak of. A backwards seated jacketed bullet could be seated out of the case a mere 0.035" before hitting the rifling.

The Marlin throat appears to be nearly the same as SAAMI recommendations. It's been my observation that Marlins always use SAAMI chambers, while Winchesters and imports may invent their own chamber dimensions. Anyway, the good news is that the 35 Remington has a relatively gentle 2 degree per side leade angle.

I am not a fan of long bore riding noses, but in this case a bore rider is pretty much necessary.

dpm6264

Re: Marlin 35 Remington

Postby dpm6264 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Dan,
I thank you for your help on this 35 rem. Readers should know that as I e-mailed you after sending this picture to you that
the .367 measurement on this section may actually be more. It looks like the SAAMI spec on this may be .3839 looking
at the SAAMI spec. Its entirely possible that I may not have been able to "bump" the lead slug out quite far enough
to achieve the total space that was available here. Not that the dimension matters, but readers need to know that the
dimension in chamber may have been more. Bumping a lead slug out so it expands that far would take quite a rap.
I seated a jacketed bullet upside down earlier as you mention and it came to a stop almost exactly .030 ahead of the case
mouth. Clearly there's not much available there to support a full length 35 rem bullet. A bore rider seems to be a must as
you state. Thanks again

Return to “lever actions”