[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Mold I ordered for a 500 S&W - Mountain Molds

Mold I ordered for a 500 S&W

Mbeaubien

Mold I ordered for a 500 S&W

Postby Mbeaubien » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I ordered this mold a couple of weeks back and was hoping to get some comments on the design.

I am not second guessing myself, just want some feedback.
The bullet is for a 500 s&w magnum in a model 500 smith.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Mold I ordered for a 500 S&W

Postby mtngun » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Things I like about it:
-- large bottom band, though 0.100" would have been adequate for this caliber. It's not that small bottom bands shoot poorly, but they are prone to difficult fill and to heat shrink issues.
-- the step on the nose is a good way to ensure reliable chambering

Things I questioned:
-- 0.045 crimp groove. It'll work but I wondered what the point was?
-- 0.7 gtob. It'll probably work fine, but again I wondered what the point was?

FYI the mold has been cut but hasn't shipped yet. There is no mail service here in the winter so I have to schedule a trip to mail it.

Mbeaubien

Postby Mbeaubien » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Dan- thanks for the reply.

Quote-

Things I questioned:
-- 0.045 crimp groove. It'll work but I wondered what the point was?
-- 0.7 gtob. It'll probably work fine, but again I wondered what the point was?

end quote

I wish I could say that there was some science behind those. I have never designed a mold so I used educated guesses on those. I should have asked for feedback ahead of time. My goal is to learn now for the next mold I order. I want to get 2 more one around 350 gr and another at about 475 gr. If I made a mistake and the first doesnt shoot right its only 100 bucks, in the scheme of life it wont matter much.

The gtob when changed to .7 appeared to give me a little more bearing surface on the bands. Given the high energy and pressure of the cartridge, my thought process was that I needed as much surface area as possible riding the barrel for accuracy. Is this a sound train of thought?

The crimp groove I had no idea so I took the 45.

No worries on shipping. The range is a muddy and snowy mess and I have enough to keep me busy anyway.

Thanks again!

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Mbeaubien

Postby Mbeaubien » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Got it yesterday. This is a great mold. I love the thick sprue plate and the channel in between the two cavities.
The bullets look great.

I do have a concern though. My melting pot goes empty twice as fast! :lol: guess that might have something to do with the 600 gr projectile?

Anyone interested in loads and how the bullet shoots? If so I will post as tested in the coming weeks.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Results are always welcome. That's how we learn.

Mbeaubien

Postby Mbeaubien » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Went to the range today to start working up loads.
The powder I used was AA1680.
Bullet weight is right at 600 grains.
5 shot groups
50 yards

30 grains of 1680
number 1 = 1.76 inches
2 = 2.4 inches
Light recoil

31 grains of 1680
Group 1= 3.4 inches with one flyer.
1.49 inches without flyer
Light but noticeably higher recoil

Group 2 =4.6 inches with one flyer
2.55 without flyer

32 grains of 1680
Group 1= 3.2 inches. No flyers
Group 2 3.7 inches with one flyer
2.4 inches without flyer
Moderate recoil

33 grains of 1680
1 group shot
2.59 inches.
Moderate but higher recoil.

No signs of pressure on any loads. Not much load data out there. My calculations estimate max load at 37 grains.

I will return to the range next weekend and use loads of 33, 34, and 35 grains.
So far I am very happy with this bullet. My goal is to put 5 shot groups in a six in circle at 100 yards.
All indications are that I can do it.
I am still working on the flinch factor. Getting much better. I would guess that the flyers mentioned above were me and not the bullet or load.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Mbeaubien

Postby Mbeaubien » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Another range session today.

33 grains
2.5 inches first group
2.6 inches second group

34 grains
5.7 inches first group
6.0 second group

Heavy recoil no signs of pressure.

35 grains
6.3 inches first
7.9 second.

Heavy recoil no signs of pressure

I'm going to stick to 33 grains of aa1680. Estimated velocity is 1200 fps.
Next trip to the range we will be shooting at 100 yards.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the range report. :)

It seems like accuracy deteriorates as you dump more powder in. :geek: Do you think it is the load, or is recoil and fatigue coming into play?

Return to “revolvers”