Enlarge a mold

Peter

Enlarge a mold

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 am

Have a question, can I send a mold back to have it enlarged. I have one of yours in 41 magnum and I need it enlarged 2 - 3 thousandths. If you can't enlarge it any suggestions on how I could, ream it ?, beagle it ?. Thanks. Peter

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Enlarge a mold

Postby mtngun » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:53 am

Maybe, maybe not.

If the diameter is too small because of a fault on my end, then certainly I will make it right.

If the diameter is too small because that is how you specified it, then the responsibility is on your shoulders, and the question becomes is it cost effective to recut the mold vs. ordering a new mold? Yes, I can probably recut it, though there is always some risk involved, and I would have to charge you for my labor. If you want to go that route then mail the mold back to me and I'll let you know what I come up with.

One way for you to enlarge the diameter is to coat the bullet with powder coat or Hi-Tek, if you are not already doing so. Powder coating generally increases the diameter 0.002".

Peter

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 am

This one is on me! That was the way I ordered it, It is a brass mold 225 grs, I went off the companies bore size when I ordered it, my mistake. I've now done two chamber cast and it is a little undersized. I got it quite a few years ago and it works great, like your molds do. What would the cost be to enlarge it, ball park is good enough +/-. Thanks. Peter

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

$50 tops, maybe less, assuming it could be done and how long it took.

Peter

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 am

I'm going to go the powder coat route, see if that does the trick. I've been planning on trying this on the 375 H&H mold I got from you last year. Thanks for the idea, if all else fails I'll send it back and let you do your magic. Thanks. Peter

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 am

That's what I would do. It's worth a try, anyway. Though it can take a while to learn to powder coat successfully.

Return to “General”