factors in a good functional 44 caliber hunting bullet

hardcastonly

factors in a good functional 44 caliber hunting bullet

Postby hardcastonly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

I've been using a couple hand guns for over 45 years too hunt larger game, (mostly deer, elk and hogs)
during those decades I've learned a few things along the way, and while I'm sure there's several people who may have more field experience,
I don,t think the experienced members will have much to argue about.

(1) precisely placed hits and a good knowledge of the games anatomy produce quick decisive kills.
(thus a good deal of practice with your handgun of choice is required)
(2) reasonably heavy for caliber gas check bullets with at least a 70%-85% flat nose (melplate)tend to produce a consistent deep ,strait lethal
wounds, (a 44 mag or a 445 dwsm can consistently shoot completely through even an elks chest)
(3) I've found a well lubed, gas check bullet cast from, 95% ww alloy and 5% tin provide a reasonable compromise in accuracy, penetration and almost no barrel leading
(4) in 45 plus years of hunting with an iron sight revolver's (mostly S&W mod 29 44 mag and dan wesson 445 super mags)I've found the 280-310 grain bullets produce the most consistent results
(5) ranges I and others I've hunted with, seldom exceed 70 -90 yards and that,s a good thing because under field conditions most of the people I've hunted with can not consistently place their first shot in anything smaller than a 6" paper plate past 75 yards.
(6) accuracy is more important than velocity as actual kills tend to be under 100 yards and a 300 grain hard cast bullet at only 1300 fps from a 44 mag will consistently kill even elk, and while I've used a 445 DWSM throwing a 300 grain bullet at 1550 fps the results are very similar.

ok now all the 45-50 caliber guys can tell me why I need more power, more bullet mass and higher velocity,
, but I've rarely recovered a bullet as most exit, and yes I own a 500 S&W and a 454 cassul Ruger
yes I've hunted with both and they also work ok,)
and yeah off a bench rest there's lots of guys that can shoot better groups, but after several hours climbing canyons and walking through conifers and aspen,at 8K-9K altitudes those groups shot leaning against an aspen don,t match your best bench rest groups

hardcastonly

Re: factors in a good functional 44 caliber hunting bullet

Postby hardcastonly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 am

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 am

Well said. Agree about shot placement.

I do notice a difference in wound channel in a 1200 fps handgun vs. the same round from a lever gun at 1600 - 1800 fps. Velocity won't matter on perfectly placed shots, but the lever gun is more effective on marginal shots.

When I was younger and had better eyesight I enjoyed the challenge of hunting with a revolver. That was my idea of real hunting, requiring lots of effort and skill so that you felt like you had "earned" your trophy.

Thank you for your input.

Bob

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Dan,

What are your feature preferences for hunting bullets for .357 mag, & 44 mag? I assume you have also experimented with hollowpointing bullets as well, what are your thoughts on these designs?

Thanks!
Bob

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Dan,

What are your feature preferences for hunting bullets for .357 mag, & 44 mag? I assume you have also experimented with hollowpointing bullets as well, what are your thoughts on these designs?

Thanks!
Bob

A big meplat driven as fast as possible.

I don't have much use for hollowpoints for hunting in the Western U.S.. Perhaps hollowpoints have a place hunting Easter whitetail.

Return to “revolvers”