Ladles

5shooter

Ladles

Postby 5shooter » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Does anyone know what the difference between Lee, Lyman, and RCBS ladles are? There is a hell of a difference in price! Lee $3.99, Lyman $16.49, and RCBS $39.99 from Midway. Are the RCBS ladles really worth the extra $?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Ladles

Postby mtngun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 pm

The Lee is little more than a beaked spoon. Forget it.

Wow, $40 for the RCBS. Holy cow. :o

I've never tried the Lyman but heard it doesn't have the drip edge on the back of the ladle like the RCBS. I don't know if that is true or how much it matters.

Both of my RCBS ladles came with 1/8" pour holes -- about right for linotype, but way too small for other alloys. I drilled them out to 3/16".

I pour with my left hand. The first RCBS ladle that I bought (about 25 years ago) came set up for left handed pouring. The second RCBS ladle that I bought came set up for right handed pouring. I converted it, and I seem to remember that I had to D&T a new handle hole and plug the old hole.

Not surprised to hear about the price increase. If you believe the Wall Street Journal, metal prices have fallen, but some of the middle men are still INCREASING prices. My recent order of 4140 for sprue plates was double last year's price. I didn't raise mold prices this year like I normally do, because they keep telling me that metal prices are going down, but I haven't seen it trickle down to my level.

About half the economists are predicting deflation and the other half are predicting inflation. Everyone is scared and nobody is sure what is going to happen. My guess is that RCBS has seen their costs go up and is passing it along.

At the prices you quoted, I'd be willing to give the Lyman a try, if I were in the market.

skunkmarshal

Postby skunkmarshal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Yes to what mtngun said about ladles. Forget the Lee except I use one for scraping pots and dipping dross. I filed and peened the spouts down for an even edge.

Don't have an RCBS but have heard good things about them.

I've used a Lyman for 35+ years and it works well. The design is very old and dates back to the Ideal days. It's basically egg shaped with a spout at one end and about a 1/3 circumference opening toward the other end. The spout hole is 11/64" so just a smidgen under 3/16".

Pic is of Lyman ladle
Attachments
Lyman ladle.jpg
Lyman ladle.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 14485 times

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for the picture of the Lyman ladle, skunkmarshal.

It appears to be right handed, with no boss to mount the handle on the left side ? I suppose I could weld the handle on the other side if the need arose.

jbquack1

Postby jbquack1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:40 pm

i bought the rcbs at a local store, i think it cost 32 dollars,knowing what i know now i think i would go with the lyman.jim

jwp

Postby jwp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 pm

I like the Rowell ladles much better than anything else I've used. The pouring spout takes the metal from the bottom of the bowl sort of like a kitchen grease separator, so if there's junk floating on the top of the full ladle it won't get in the mold. Bill Ferguson sells them on his web site: http://www.bulletmetals.net/ladles.htm. They are right-hand-only (as far as I know).

-- jwp

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:33 am

jwp wrote:I like the Rowell ladles much better than anything else I've used. The pouring spout takes the metal from the bottom of the bowl sort of like a kitchen grease separator, so if there's junk floating on the top of the full ladle it won't get in the mold.

The Lyman and RCBS ladles also pour from the bottom, not from the surface.

5shooter

Postby 5shooter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm

My order from Midway came in including a $17.49 Lyman Ladle. It has bosses that are drilled and tapped on both sides for right or left handed operation with a screw in plug for the unused side. The pour hole is 3/16" so it should be ready to go with no modifications. I hope to get some casting in this weekend and will let you know how it works. Thanks for all the response on different ladles. At this point I am very happy not to spend double the money on an RCBS. It looks like the Lyman is the way to go.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like Lyman has been reading this forum ??????

skunkmarshal

Postby skunkmarshal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Yes, very interesting and good info. Must have been fairly recent design change. Really handy for those who pour upside down and backwards :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep us posted on casting progress. Ladle pouring is slower than bottom pour and does take some practice but seems to produce the best bullets in the larger/longer bullet forms.

Return to “equipment”