Paper patch in 357 rifle

mtngun
Site Admin

Paper patch in 357 rifle

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 pm

from the old forum, not really hi-velocity, but it's interesting that someone is trying PP in a 357 lever gun. Poster's name lost:

I read the thread on paperpatching the .30-06 with interest.

I noted that you weren't finding much paper - which indicates a problem.

I played around with paperpatching for my .357 and got a bit of advice that was probably the best I've ever had. That is to use loads of 100% density or nearly so.

Since it was a paper patch I initially thought I had to be delicate with them and started out with very modest powder charges. The results were pathetic. I was lucky to be on the paper target at 50 yards, and I did not find much of any paper exiting the bore. That was with 13 grains of Lil Gun and a 158 grain pp bullet. Then someone suggested going to 100% density. So I made up a batch of loads that were closer to 100%.

15.9 grains Lil' Gun: same miserable accuracy and no paper exiting the bore.

16.4 gr LG: miserable accuracy, no trace of patch remnants.

16.9 gr LG: BOOM! groups miraculously shrunk to 2" at 50 yards AND there were large hunks of paper flying out the bore. Not exactly complete patches but they were certainly not pieces of confetti sliced apart by the rifling either.

17.4 gr LG: Groups of 1.5 and large paper hunks.

18.0 gr LG: Groups of 1.75 and large paper hunks.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Paper patch in 357 rifle

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm still a novice at paperpatching.

If I had to guess, I say my patches were being burned because the powder was still burning as the bullet left the barrel. But that is just a guess.

nobade

Postby nobade » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 am

Hi, since I have been playing with paper patching recently I thought I'd get signed up here to join in the fun. Anyhow, I have been getting very good results with 35 cals. and a .351" 215 gr. paper patch bullet. In my Browning B92, loaded with 15gr. 296, I can hold palm size groups at 200M with that bullet. There's no way it'll shoot that good with grease grooved bullets. I'm patching with drafting vellum from a pad I got at the art supply store, drying the patches on a hot plate, sizing to .359, and load so that I can thumb press the case into the chamber all except about 1/16". The bolt seats it the last bit.

Patching bullets is sure more work than just running them through the lubrisizer, but the performance is worth it. I use this rifle for cowboy long range silhouette, so it has to knock the rams over at 200M. Using this bullet, it has no problem doing that and puts the little 357 mag into a whole new level power wise.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:50 am

Gotta love the little 357.

Return to “hi velocity”