[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Design Parameter Recommendations for a 45 Colt Mold - Mountain Molds

Design Parameter Recommendations for a 45 Colt Mold

Racer X

Design Parameter Recommendations for a 45 Colt Mold

Postby Racer X » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 am

I am new to this site and am considering buying one of your molds and wanted to get your recommendations on a mold design. My gun is a custom Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with .453" throats and minimum-spec chambers (.481 @ the base & .480" in the leede). The gun has a custom 7-1/2" barrel with a 1 in 18" twist.

I would like a plain-base bullet that casts from WW metal at 280 grains. I also want the biggest meplat that will still give me excellent accuracy, even when started at low as 900 - 1000 FPS. The bullet should retain its stability beyond 100 yards for recreational rock busting if driven to higher velocities (1200 - 1300 FPS).

Although I understand buyers are on their own for designing a mold, I would greatly appreciate your recommendations regarding profiles that are most likely to be accurate, as well as recommended design parameters (nose length, mepat %, crimp groove size, lube groove shape, bullet size to order, sizing, etc.) that will meet my requirements stated above.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Design Parameter Recommendations for a 45 Colt Mold

Postby mtngun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Racer X

Postby Racer X » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Ok, then limiting my requirements to short-range (< 75 yards) hunting accuracy, can you recommend an accurate design with a good hunting meplat? I don't need a 300 grain bullet to shoot scawny deer and even decent-size hogs. I was thinking of having a shorter nose and longer shank to increase bearing surface.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:20 am

Racer X

Postby Racer X » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:59 am

A 75% meplat would be about a .340" meplat, which using LBT profiles as a comparison, falls between a LFN and WFN.

I am thinking about a Truncated Cone with a 75% meplat at around 280 grains. A couple more questions to narrow my design criteria:

1) Is the Truncated Cone typically an accurate profile?

2) What Nose Length would you recommend for adequate bearing surface on a mid-weight bullet such as a 280 grain with this profile and 75% meplat?

3) With the minimum spec chambers, .453" throats, and .451" groove, what bullet diameter do you recommend I specify?

4) In respect to question # 3, what should diameter should I size my bullets to?

Thanks.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:38 pm

jbquack1

Postby jbquack1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:39 pm

i got a 275 grain mold from dan about 6 months ago,i used the bore riding secant nose profile.At 25 yards out of my 4 5/8 inch ruger i get groupd around 1 1/2 inches off a rest and i use a 75 percent meplat.my nose legth is .350,being a bore rider with a .120 front driving band i have plenty of bearing surface.my reason for a big front bad is chamber fit, not to gain powder space as with a bullet this light that is not a problem.The bore rider concept in handguns allows you to get the slug right where it needs to be for minimal jump to the throat.also the bullet is centered better which can help.jim

Return to “revolvers”