[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Rooster HVR problems? - Page 2 - Mountain Molds

Rooster HVR problems?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Rooster HVR problems?

Postby mtngun » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 am

45idaho

Postby 45idaho » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:48 am

10/25/08 Range Report 4 5/8" 454 Casull 5 shot Blackhawk Hornady 460 S&W Cases cut to 1.415" Fed Large Mag Rifle Primers 30 grains H110

Mountain Mold 335 GR, Tan Ogive, .4" nose, 80% Meplat, .090" crimp, gas check, .452" with front band sized to .450" Temperature 55

All groups were 5 shots at 50 yards chambered 1 at a time in the next chamber. Unused chambers had empty brass for gate support.

Lube Crimp Velocity ES SD Group

Rooster Exagerated 1396 15 5.8 4" Started with clean barrel

Rooster Exagerated 1416 34 12.6 3.25

Rooster Heavy 1427 36 13.4 3"

Rooster Heavy 1373 47 18.7 3.75"

Lyman Alox Exagerated 1392 39 18 4.5" Started with clean barrel

Lyman Alox Exagerated 1416 26 9.5 2.75

Lyman Alox Heavy 1410 23 8.2 1.75" Lucky Group

Lyman Alox Heavy 1402 26 12 3"

Bullets were seated and crimped with Lyman roll crimp seater in 2 steps. Exagerated crimps were badly marking case mouths and distorting the bullet.

The 2 Lubes and crimps tested made no significant difference in velocities, SD, or group size. I don't think I can shoot any better than this after getting battered around by this heavy recoiling 3 pound revolver. Group size differences are most probably the nut behind the gun. The 1st couple of shots after cleaning the barrel were usually out of the regular group. It takes a couple of shots to season the barrel. There was no noticable leading with either lube. The Highest velocity was the 1st shot in 1 group and the 5th shot in 4 groups.

These results were completly different than previous results! Previously 90% of the time the 1st shot was the highest velocity. The only changes were case length and firing cartridges that hadn't been subjected to recoil. I tried a group with a cylinder full of the same load.

Rooster Heavy 1365 57 23.4 4.5"

The 1st shot was the highest velocity and the next shot was a lower velocity with no exceptions. After 3 shots I measured the OAL of the remaning 2. One was .010 over length and the other was .020 over length. I fired the longest one and measured the other round. It had grown from .010 to .023 over length. My bullets were pulling crimp!!!!!!!

Why was Rooster giving me Higher velocities in cold weather (40 degrees) than Lyman Alox???????????? These are only wild assed uneducated guesses. The High velocity Rooster rounds were loaded for almost a month and I don't remember if they were ever subjected to high temperatures in my pickup or not. I think the Rooster could have softened in the case from high temperatures and after cooling actually acted as a glue between the bullet and case in the cold temps which helped hold the crimp. The Lyman Alox rounds previously tested were fired the day after they were loaded. All loads fired yesterday were freshly assembled, except for the 5 I shot that were subjected to recoil. Another possibility is there was no longer a bunch of chamber space ahead of the case mouth that Rooster was able to fill because of the .03" longer cases. Or a combination of both of the above plus a bunch of other variables??????????????????

The High velocity Rooster loads previously fired with H 110 were

Rooster Heavy 1493 32 12.6 3"

Rooster Heavy 1463 39 18 4.5"

The reason these velocities were higher than yesterday's results I am sure is because of the shorter Casull cases.

I am sure Lil Gun was getting 100+ FPS velocity swings on different days is because it more dependent on crimp tension and case volume than H110.

Yesterdays results with my 475 Linebaugh: 32 H110 375 grain Mountain Mold GC Similar to 335 gr 454 bullet.

Rooster Heavy 1366 65 24.2 2.75" Last shot was highest velocity

Lyman Alox Heavy 1371 39 15.3 3.25" 2nd shot was highest velocity

I gave up shooting after shooting the 2 groups through the 475 as I felt beat up enough for one day. The 475 didn't show any changes because of lubes.

Now I need to work on crimps, baking some loaded Rooster rounds (hope I don't blow the oven up!), shorter Casull brass, and ..................

These light 3 pound revolvers have a bunch of recoil, so this crimp thing may be tough to get under control.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:42 pm

Return to “lubes”