opinions on the lee 20 pound pots

jbquack1

Re: opinions on the lee 20 pound pots

Postby jbquack1 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I have no experience with the magnum melter,overall i enjoy the pro 4-20,but as usual there are a few things i would like to see changed and one of them is the orfice size.I think i will give the number 21 dril bit a try.The drip problem seems to be particular to the "item in hand" as i have been able to stop the drip on my pot,but the screw at the bottom of the pour spout handle loosens over time and can stick the spout open until you "monkey motion" it around to get it closed.I find myself tightening that screw alot in a casting session.By the way Dan, your molds work very well, i have bought a few since december and haven't had a problem with any of them.My new favorite is a 325 grain .45 colt "keith" with some mods by me,hits like a sledgehammer and is very accurate.jim

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: opinions on the lee 20 pound pots

Postby mtngun » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 am

I promised pictures and more experiments on my Lee pot mods, but then I got busy and never had time to follow up. :oops:

I've used the modified pot a few more times.   The good news is that drips have been rare.   The bad news is that the orifice plugged up, probably with crud, and flow was reduced.   I didn't have time to drain the pot and clean the orifice, so I went back to the old reliable ladle.

Perhaps a retired person who has a lot of time on his hands could devise an easy, cost effective solution for the Lee bottom pour pot.  Myself, I've got better things to do.

You have to wonder why Lee doesn't make the improvements ?   Continuous improvement does not seem to be part of the Lee philosophy.

I cannot recommend either of the Lee bottom pour pots.   Get the ladle pour pot instead.

Return to “equipment”