BABore's Bison

mtngun
Site Admin

BABore's Bison

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Final Test Results for MM478-400GC

Well after 3 months of testing I finally have some results on the mold Dan cut for my 480 Ruger. Took a long time to develop the perfect load, but got an honest inch grouper at 50 yards. Velocity is at 1,250 fps using WW 296.

[the pictures are missing, but BABore nailed a bison)

The bullet broke the front shoulder bone on a slight quartering forward shot. It went between the 2nd & 3rd ribs, cut the top of the heart and arteries, then broke the 5th rib on the off side. The bullet deflected rearwards and exited just past the last rib tearing the bottom of the lung getting there. Found the bullet in the hide. The buffalo ran 10-15 yards before piling up.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: BABore's Bison

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Congratulations !

Is buffalo meat as good as they say it is ?

Was the bullet recovered under the skin on the far side ? Are you going to tell us the story ?

Your bullet looks just like the HTWW bullets that I have recovered, both from game and from the dirt berm at the range.

I've never seen a big mushroom on HTWW. It just rivits up a little, and when the rivit gets too big, pieces shear off. At higher velocities, the rivit/shear process continues until only the shank is left.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: BABore's Bison

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Yes, cow buffalo meat is very good. There are some tough areas, so you just got to treat and cook it right. I had the loins sliced on the one I got last year. Cut all of the steaks 1 1/2" thick and cooked them all on the grill rare to medium rare. Just like beef, but much better. The meat isn't marbled like beef, more like venison.

Here's a quick story that I posted on another forum. This critter was shot on a ranch type deal. I was only going for meat, not sport or a hunt. Regardless, most I've talked with say buffalo hunting isn't much different whether fenced or free range. This place has a fenced in area 3/4 mile by 1 mile with heavy woods/swamp and field. They charge $750 for a cow 900 lbs and up. Bulls are $1,250 but only fit for rugs, head mounts, and burger. Tough burger.

Here's the details;

Well I tried my best to get my 450 Marlin worked up for some action. I guess it wasn't to be. My freshly heat treated bullets weren't fully hardened for show time. Had to fall back on my 480 Ruger SRH. At least I would still be trying my own bullet that I designed and cast myself. It was a 400 gr GC bullet cast from WW's and oven heat treated to 28 Bhn. Velocity for my load was 1,250 fps.

Me and two buddies were after buffalo cows. They were going to split one and I was getting one for myself. My wife, another buddy, and the owner went along for a total of six. Both my wife and one buddy were filming. We stalked two different groups of animals for about 3 hours before getting into a shooting position.

We were 98 yards from a group of 3-4 cows. I told my buddy to shoot his first as he wanted to do a head shot. He was using a 280 Remington with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions. His first shot went about an inch below the brain cavity of a 1,250 lb cow. Her head recoiled about 45 degrees around from the impact, but her feet didn't move. The other cows ran around her and stopped a few yards away. We shifted positions to sort them out and he lined up for another shot. This one went into the neck about 6 inches behind the head. Down she went. She raise her head once then laid still. Little did we know that the bullet went between the spine and jugular. I asked the owner if I could get into shooting position for my cow. He looked over the downed one and said go for it.

There was a smaller, 950 lb cow nearby that was playing spectator. I put a big tree between me and her and snuck up to 50 yards. I kneeled behind the tree, cocked the hammer and eased around it. She was looking straight at me from a hard quartering forward angle. I had to wait for a better shot so I slid down into a prone position. I had a brain shot for a few seconds, but no heart shot. She was getting nervous and started to move around some. I finally had a decent heart shot throught the front shoulder until she decided to scratch her ear on it. Her head came back around and she appeared ready to vacate the area. Now or never.

At the shot she hunched up, wheeled around, and ran about 10-15 yards on 3 legs. She piled up right there. The head never came up, but I put a brain shot into her anyway. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement. The big cow got up like somebody interrupted her nap. She trotted right over to my cow to check things out. I thumbed back the hammer as I glanced over my shoulder to spot my buddy. He was running up from one side of me yelling "cover your ears". Went he got into a safe shooting position, he put a finisher into the spine, behind the head from 60 yards. She was down for good finally. None of his Partitions exited the head or neck.

After a few pictures we hauled the cows up to a skinning shed where I did a little autopsy on mine. My bullet went in exactly 2 inches higher than I intended. Of course it's sighted in 2 inches high at 50 yards. Oops, I always do that! The bullet struck the main shoulder bone 6 inches above the elbow. The shoulder bone was shattered all the way down to the joint. It then went between the 2nd and 3rd ribs and took the top, and all of the arteries, off of the heart. It broke the 5th rib back on the off side. It appears the bullet nose was distorted at an angle from the shoulder impact. When it broke the off side rib it deflected rearwards instead of going straight through. It cut the bottom edge of the lung and exited behing the last rib. We found the bullet stuck in the hide.

I measured the penetration at 36 inches. The bullet lost its gas check which was latter found in the heart. The 400 grain bullet now weighed 386 grains. If you discounted the GC and lube, the as cast bullet weighs 391 grains, so it had 99% weight retention. The nose expanded to 0.55 x 0.59 inches. This bullet definitely did a much better job than the commercial cast I used last year.

Return to “General”